Question for shield arc and the gang?

/ Question for shield arc and the gang? #1  

weldermike

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L4400
Shield someone offered to pick this machine up for me if it runs and welds. Price is really good and hes gonna get back to me. Could you guys tell me a little about it besides it being a sa200. Thanks guys!

3Ge3Mf3Jd5G95K15M4d578e88bbc67e8b1b9b.jpg

3F13J33N15L45Ge5Fed57c5c016b17be91a15.jpg

3G83M33H25I95Hd5Jcd57885f7697b6c91ec3.jpg

3E43G93Nd5Le5Nc5J2d573e5e5890859516e4.jpg

/ Question for shield arc and the gang? #2  
Mike that is an octagon barrel machine, nothing special, just another welding machine.
What you want is a Red Face machine they have round barrels / generator! I have a 1974, see the shape of the generator?

Attachments

• Octagon.JPG
    Octagon.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Green light.JPG
    Green light.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 204
   / Question for shield arc and the gang? #3  
Mike this is what you want! I paid $200.00 for this one.:D

Attachments

• Completed.jpg
    Completed.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Complete 3.jpg
    Complete 3.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Engine painted.jpg
    Engine painted.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 244
   / Question for shield arc and the gang?
You the man shield! Thanks buddy, just what I wanted to hear. Beautiful collection you have there :D

/ Question for shield arc and the gang? #5  
They weld good too!:cool2:

Attachments

• twins.JPG
    twins.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 536
   / Question for shield arc and the gang? #6  
Yes, the Red face and short hoods are the most desirable but that doesn't mean you should stay away from a green light machine. They are still a very good welder if they work. Get the serial number and code and you can tell the year. A certain code is known for having more frequent problems. The green light machines have the octagon barrel because they have some aluminum windings that take up more room. The engine will be a Continental F163 and is a great engine. Pipeliners didn't like the aluminum machines because they would heat up and you'd have to adjust your amps to compensate. Then if you took a break, you'd have to turn them back down since they cooled off. The older copper machines would be consistent all day long. For general welding the green lights were fine. You said real good price. If it's under $1000 is a good price, under $500 is a really good price. Shield Arc should be in jail for his $200 machine and you should confiscate it. He stole it;) I got a 61 Red face for $500 but spent another $800 on a new carb and other stuff to get it running. I could easily double my money if I wanted but need a machine.

I think I just blew a hole in my undies :D those are bonerfied beauties, very very cool bud!

/ Question for shield arc and the gang? #8  
They are indeed a nice machine, very smooth arc. You will get a bit more arc blow with them being a pure DC machine rather than rectified AC. Be aware, the 110V output is DC also so make sure any motorized equipment you plug into it has a universal or an DC motor, lights make no difference. I'm not sure but if I remember right the 110V output was not very high.....Mike

Yes, the Red face and short hoods are the most desirable but that doesn't mean you should stay away from a green light machine. They are still a very good welder if they work. Get the serial number and code and you can tell the year. A certain code is known for having more frequent problems. The green light machines have the octagon barrel because they have some aluminum windings that take up more room. The engine will be a Continental F163 and is a great engine. Pipeliners didn't like the aluminum machines because they would heat up and you'd have to adjust your amps to compensate. Then if you took a break, you'd have to turn them back down since they cooled off. The older copper machines would be consistent all day long. For general welding the green lights were fine. You said real good price. If it's under $1000 is a good price, under $500 is a really good price. Shield Arc should be in jail for his $200 machine and you should confiscate it. He stole it;) I got a 61 Red face for $500 but spent another $800 on a new carb and other stuff to get it running. I could easily double my money if I wanted but need a machine.

Thanks arcweld, I just bought a 305g, actually just showed up tonight and I got stuck working late, figures. Im not in a jam for a engine drive right now so ill probably hold out for a red face round barrel. The green light machines I used to run when I first got into the trade with one of my old companies, but that was 20yrs ago and I couldnt tell you anything about them accept they were very reliable. That machine I think I could get for $800 but I gotta travel 4hrs each way, so im gonna hold out. Thanks bud!

/ Question for shield arc and the gang? #10  
OK, Shield Arc, those are indeed fine looking machines. But I don't believe for a moment that they looked like that when you bought them. Definitely not the $200 machine.

How about some "BEFORE" photos.