Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #451  
^^^I wonder how it will shake out as I have a lot of registrations…

Before fees got crazy there were 24 tags each year.

Remember in California you have to pay non-op registration fees for cars Not Used otherwise full regular fees due.

I posted before about a retire widow had a stroke and was 2.5 years in a care facility…

He didn’t pay registration or pay non-op registration so the 96 vehicle parked in his carport accumulated $2300 in fees and penalties…

The smart thing would have been taking it out of California but his family paid the $2300, had the car smogged and then sold it for 3k with a new battery.

/ Question for those who live in California #452  
In CA vehicles with handicapped plates get a pass on weight fees. My handicap plate is on my 3/4 ton van not my car. Even a small econo car pays $300 a yr registration with a $50 smog check every 2 yrs :rolleyes:

/ Question for those who live in California #453  
   / Question for those who live in California #454  
I just non oped another motorcycle that I'm not riding. So far it's always been a one time fee. At least for off road motorcycles its about half of the normal registration. (Off road vehicles need registration to ride on public land, which California has a lot of. The money is supposed to go to buying more land for OHV use but the legislature keeps stealing it)

You used to be able to non-op any time for free. But it was common to abuse that. People would not register the vehicle, hope they didn't get pulled over for it, and then when they sell the vehicle, the buyer would file a non op retroactively to avoid having to pay the back registration. I did that a bunch of times for motorcycles I bought. I can see why they shut that down.

/ Question for those who live in California #455  
If the province here started charging a fee for a vehicle that wasn't being used, they'd have an enemy on their hands. What's the theory that makes this acceptable to the citizens?

/ Question for those who live in California #456  
If the province here started charging a fee for a vehicle that wasn't being used, they'd have an enemy on their hands. What's the theory that makes this acceptable to the citizens?
Cost of maintaining the Data Base and to catch scofflaws...

/ Question for those who live in California #457  
I do not need to register a vehicle to use it on my property like a truck only used on premise, etc. Registration and driver license are only needed to drive on public roadways. We can even county plates cheap for vehicles that will not leave the county, farm truck that uses roads from one field to another (or goes for a beer run)

/ Question for those who live in California #458  
I do not need to register a vehicle to use it on my property like a truck only used on premise, etc.
In California, if you own a travel trailer, it must be continuously registered with DMV even if it is permanently parked on your property. Huge fines accrue rapidly if you fall behind ...

/ Question for those who live in California #459  
In California, if you own a travel trailer, it must be continuously registered with DMV even if it is permanently parked on your property. Huge fines accrue rapidly if you fall behind ...
I’ve read California, on average, adds 1,000 new laws and regulations to the books, in addition to the 10’s of thousands already there , every New Year, January 1st.
Is that still true?

/ Question for those who live in California #460  
I’ve read California, on average, adds 1,000 new laws and regulations to the books, in addition to the 10’s of thousands already there , every New Year, January 1st.
Is that still true?
Our legislature passes a bunch of laws, usually over 1000 of them every year. Then, as the legislative session is coming to an end, the bills go before the governor to be signed, or not. Even our current gov does not sign them all. Many are effective in the new year.

Long way of saying, 'yes'.