questions about my 670

/ questions about my 670 #11  
well, took a closer look at it and it looks like i don't have a seat switch. is there anything else i will discover when i go try to use an implement?
thanks again for all the help.

Just make sure it all works properly..ie: PTO, 3PT hydraulic lift.

About the seat switch..it's up to you if you're comfortable without it. The backhoe use requires the seat switch to be temporarily overridden..almost all other 3 pt implements you "should" have it functioning.

Just get everything you need and get the 3pt working, if you have problems come on back here and ask. If you want the seat safety switch I'm sure you can get everything you need from Deere.

Good luck, and have fun getting more uses out of your 670.

/ questions about my 670
i know its been a while but i finally took a good look at it. it doesn't have a seat switch and when i try to use the pto (without an implement), the engine just shuts down. does that mean i need to get the seat switch? my backhoe works just fine.
thanks.

/ questions about my 670 #13  
i know its been a while but i finally took a good look at it. it doesn't have a seat switch and when i try to use the pto (without an implement), the engine just shuts down. does that mean i need to get the seat switch? my backhoe works just fine.
thanks.

The first time I tried to use my PTO on my old 770 the engine died.. finally I read the manual :rolleyes: and found the seat switch and did what the diagram showed. I was good to go after that.

If the engine stalls when the PTO is switched on I suspect you have a safety switch issue.

Can you take a picture of the under seat area? Find the seat switch wires and jumper them together and see if the PTO works.

/ questions about my 670
thanks for the reply. i looked around and there is no switch. just 1 or 2 connectors that are open so i'm not sure how the backhoe works since it has a different switch. might there be another switch somewhere? also, on your 770, does the seat switch have a 3 pin connector? i don't have a EWD for this tractor and the manuals have just the basic stuff.
thanks again.

/ questions about my 670 #15  
Here is JD's 670 diagram with the seat safety switch circled (#1-6). Lift your tractor seat up and it will be attached to the cross member that is ghosted out in the diagram. (D) in the other picture is the switch as seen under the seat of a 790 in JD's manual (looks to be the same). If it does not have the seat switch then the pto probably will not work.

What backhoe do you have? I assume the hoe hydraulics are feed by the 670's power beyond, so it would have nothing to do with the operation of the pto. If you can post pictures that could help us understand what you are seeing.

Last edited:
   / questions about my 670
ya, i def. don't have a seat switch. do you have a pin out of the wiring? do they make a EWD for the 670? when i bought the tractor it came with every manual for it and the attachments (6-7 books total) but no wiring diag.
BTW, its a JD 7 backhoe, does not run off the pto.
thanks for the reply.

/ questions about my 670 #17  
Here is a link to the JD Parts Catalog web page.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Here are the front and back 670 wiring pics from that site. Look them up for the parts lists. The European 670 seat safety switch looks different than this. You have not stated where you are in your members profile so that may be a factor. You may have to visit a JD dealer for more help.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / questions about my 670 #18  
thanks for the reply. i looked around and there is no switch. just 1 or 2 connectors that are open so i'm not sure how the backhoe works since it has a different switch. might there be another switch somewhere? also, on your 770, does the seat switch have a 3 pin connector? i don't have a EWD for this tractor and the manuals have just the basic stuff.
thanks again.

Sorry no longer have the 770. If you use the power beyond for the backhoe then the seat switch wouldn't be a factor..

You said there is some wire connectors under the seat? If you can figure out which one is for the missing seat switch you could jumper them to make sure the pto is okay, then order the parts needed.

The picture and diagrams that dirt ditch posted look just like what I had with the 770. The 670 is basically the same.

/ questions about my 670
thanks for the help. i was planning on jumping the connector but i'm not sure which one it is. it looks like it might be the one with 3 pins but shouldn't this switch only have 2?
i'm in in California btw.
thank you.

/ questions about my 670 #20  
thanks for the help. i was planning on jumping the connector but i'm not sure which one it is. it looks like it might be the one with 3 pins but shouldn't this switch only have 2?
i'm in in California btw.
thank you.

Yes it's possible the seat switch has 3 wires, but I no longer have a repair manual for the 670/770.. but jumpering the wires is a simple thing. A cheap electrical meter tester will help determine what the connectors are for ...but I'd just try using something that can be connected easily and disconnected quickly, like paperclips. If the connector isn't for the seat... a light maybe, you might pop a fuse so be a little careful.