Quiet compressors

/ Quiet compressors #1  

strantor

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H
I am getting more & more sensitive to sounds, not sure why. I can handle loud noises that are continuous and/or that I control. Like the tractor, or an angle grinder. But my compressor randomly kicking in @ 80db while I'm silently working in my shop startles me like a gunshot. It's really stressing me out. I'm a weirdo, I know.

I'm looking at these new quiet compressors and they all seem very similar but with slightly different specs. I suspect, like a lot of things, the compressor head that seems to be common to all of them is probably all made in the same factory overseas and sold here under different brand names. For example:

717GuSnq22L._SL1500_.jpg
Campbell Hausfield 6 Gal. Electric Pancake Quiet Air Compressor
$190, 1HP, 68db, 2.4CFM @ 90psi, 115PSI max

california-air-tools-portable-air-compressors-5510se-64_1000 (1).jpg
California Air Tools 5.5 Gal. 1.0 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Air Compressor
$149, 60db, 1HP, 2.2CFM @ 90PSI, 120PSI max

hulk-power-portable-air-compressors-hp01p006ss-64_1000.jpg
Hulk Power 6 Gal. 1 HP Portable Electric-Powered Horizontal Silent Air Compressor
$147, 1HP, 51db, 3.1CFM @ 90PSI, 125PSI max

There are a few more (Eagle, Eastwood, et. al.) but I think 3 examples are enough. When I was looking at these a few years ago I think it was just the California Air tools one that I was seeing. All these others seem new to me. So I'm thinking they were first on the scene and the others are clones. I'm particularly intrigued by the orange Hulk compressor, as it seems to lead the pack on specs in every category. But I don't see how they can reliably squeeze performance more out of (what I assume is) the same compressor head that everyone else is using. I think the more likely explanation is that they're playing fast and loose with the specs. Giving calculated theoretical values where the other guys are giving measured values and giving the DB as measured from 30ft away where the other guys are giving it from 3ft away. Stuff like that.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone has experiences with more than one of these compressors and can confirm/deny that they are in fact exactly the same. Because if they're all clones then I'll probably stick to the California one because they're well established with lots of positive reviews. The Orange guy barely has any reviews. If there really are subtle differences, then I might take a chance on the orange guy.

/ Quiet compressors #2  
No. But even with my hearing loss, I either wear a set of muffs or in only one cycle needed, I walk outside while my crap pancake is running. It is name brand, and about 5 yrs old, but it is getting on its last leg. Thanks for posting theae.

I think if the hulk brand is decent, you are getting 50 percent more air compressed. And it shows a lower dB rating. Looks like big orange is selling, but not sticking right now. I dont advocate buying extended warranties, but I might drop the $15 or whatever it was if you use a good bit. If not but occasionally, save the money, time will pass before it crashes.

Two other points, their larger compressor looks to be good value too, and all are better than HF....

/ Quiet compressors #3  
I am getting more & more sensitive to sounds, not sure why. I can handle loud noises that are continuous and/or that I control. Like the tractor, or an angle grinder. But my compressor randomly kicking in @ 80db while I'm silently working in my shop startles me like a gunshot. It's really stressing me out. I'm a weirdo, I know.

I'm looking at these new quiet compressors and they all seem very similar but with slightly different specs. I suspect, like a lot of things, the compressor head that seems to be common to all of them is probably all made in the same factory overseas and sold here under different brand names. For example:

View attachment 575743
Campbell Hausfield 6 Gal. Electric Pancake Quiet Air Compressor
$190, 1HP, 68db, 2.4CFM @ 90psi, 115PSI max

View attachment 575745
California Air Tools 5.5 Gal. 1.0 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Air Compressor
$149, 60db, 1HP, 2.2CFM @ 90PSI, 120PSI max

View attachment 575747
Hulk Power 6 Gal. 1 HP Portable Electric-Powered Horizontal Silent Air Compressor
$147, 1HP, 51db, 3.1CFM @ 90PSI, 125PSI max

There are a few more (Eagle, Eastwood, et. al.) but I think 3 examples are enough. When I was looking at these a few years ago I think it was just the California Air tools one that I was seeing. All these others seem new to me. So I'm thinking they were first on the scene and the others are clones. I'm particularly intrigued by the orange Hulk compressor, as it seems to lead the pack on specs in every category. But I don't see how they can reliably squeeze performance more out of (what I assume is) the same compressor head that everyone else is using. I think the more likely explanation is that they're playing fast and loose with the specs. Giving calculated theoretical values where the other guys are giving measured values and giving the DB as measured from 30ft away where the other guys are giving it from 3ft away. Stuff like that.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone has experiences with more than one of these compressors and can confirm/deny that they are in fact exactly the same. Because if they're all clones then I'll probably stick to the California one because they're well established with lots of positive reviews. The Orange guy barely has any reviews. If there really are subtle differences, then I might take a chance on the orange guy.

All 3 of the compressors you reference are direct drive "cheapies" that are made in China.
If you REALLY want a QUALITY small/portable quiet compressor.....you need to look at the Quincy Compressor "Airmaster Portable" (Q12120PQ, or the Q12126VPQ)
Has a 1750 RPM motor, belt driving the compressor at an even lower speed of 700RPM, and produces 13.7 CFM.
I have had the 700 RPM Quincy portable for 10 years.
You absolutely will not find ANY quality belt drive quiet (700 RPM) compressor in the price range you are referencing.
A QUALITY compressor is a once in a lifetime purchase!

/ Quiet compressors #4  
I have a Kobalt dual tank compressor I bought at Lowes that is the quietest I have ever seen. I don't know the decibels but it is really quiet. Only about 6 CFM but it does most of what I need.

If I need more air, I just tie it to my hot dog tank Puma 6.5 CFM and my 30 year old sonic boom sounding Craftsman with its 30 gallon tank. All together I get about 20 CFM out of them.

/ Quiet compressors #5  
Strantor, very timely post for me since I just finished thinking through the same questions. I bought a CAT 2010A for $149. I have a 30 year old Emglo that has never missed a beat, but it weighs almost 2x as much as the 34 lb CAT. And the CAT is MUCH quieter. I checked it with a decibel meter, it is indeed about 60db at about 10 ft. I got it because I am going to be doing a lot of interior trim work this winter and I wanted a lighter, quieter compressor. I also have an even smaller Senco compressor, but it is too small to run my finishing nailer.

Attachments

• compressor.jpg
    compressor.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 160
   / Quiet compressors #6  
If U want quiet simply build a big box and line the inside with old carpeting.
The carpet will absorb a whole lot of the sound. Just make sure enough air circulates so as to not overheat.

Oil based units are also quieter than the 'oil less' ones.

/ Quiet compressors #7  
I bought a little Hitachi air compressor at Lowe’s because it was on sale for $40 and it was cute. I was amazed how quite it is. You’d hardly notice it running while having a conversation beside it. The downside is it’s tiny. That’s also a bonus if you don’t need much CFM. IMG_0319.JPG

/ Quiet compressors #8  
I got this from my grandpa. Its quiet enough you can watch tv in the next room. I use it for things around the house away from my garage. I guess its quiet because of how slow it runs?

Or put the loud one outside in it's own enclosure.20180520_170122.jpeg

Anyone know where I can get another braided cloth air hose? I like this one alot. I know it's old though.

/ Quiet compressors #9  
Well, building a box works if it will be in fixed position. But not so much if you move it around. And it does get hot, if you go that route, you must provide good circulation for cooler air. And that can defeat the reason for the box.

/ Quiet compressors #10  
I have a large Devilbis (sp?) slow running compressor that is nice and silent. But it is in another building removed from my shop. I can't believe the fast running consumer junk they are making. But I guess if people buy this junk, they will build it.