Quiet compressors

/ Quiet compressors #22  
I got this from my grandpa. Its quiet enough you can watch tv in the next room. I use it for things around the house away from my garage. I guess its quiet because of how slow it runs?

Or put the loud one outside in it's own enclosure.View attachment 575768

Anyone know where I can get another braided cloth air hose? I like this one alot. I know it's old though.
Hey, I'm still using that exact same model air compressor.

I just looked up the sales slip which I had taped to the inside of the manual that came with the compressor. I purchased it at Sears on March 4, 1976 for $199.99, which was a lot of money back then. I almost didn't buy it. But 42 years later and still going, I guess we can say I got my money's worth from it. :)

/ Quiet compressors #23  
THAT is EXACTLY what a quiet compressor looks like!
BELT DRIVEN @ slow speed!
I am not aware of any "cheapies" built like that!

There’s plenty of those to be had used. New something like that cost a fortune. Some cheapies are better than others. I also have to have a compressor that I can carry up stairs by myself. I have seen any belt driven compressor that fits that criteria.

/ Quiet compressors #24  
My 30 gallon Craftsman blows me out of the shop sometimes.. Very loud.. I would like to find something half as loud for sure..

I bought this Craftsman because it said it is 40% quieter. I measured it today with a decibel meter on my phone at 75db & 70db at 10' & 25' away with the overhead doors closed.
20181022_150158_resized.jpg

The odd thing is, this Quincy is 78db &76 db at 10' & 25' away...... I wonder, 40% quieter than what?:confused3:
20181022_150356_resized.jpg

/ Quiet compressors #25  
Decibel ratings are confusing. For ever 20 dB the volume increases by a multiplier of 10. So 60dB is 10 times louder than 40dB. That's the "field" (amplitude) ratio. We all know that marketing uses whatever they please to get the numbers they want. If they use the "power" ratio it is 10 dB per 10 fold increase. So the 40% quieter could be only a few decibels.

My craftsman (it's a red one just like that, not the black "professional" one) is annoyingly loud. So your black one could be "40% quieter" than my red one. :confused3:

/ Quiet compressors #26  
This is the one I got. Its MUCH quieter than the Bostich pancake I used to have. It still has noise to it though, but I can hold a conversation while standing next to it without shouting. It does have a significant weight to it! If you plan on carrying it around build a cart. Otherwise I'm happy with it (for the most part, had 2 faulty units, 3rd one is good). I got this because I needed the higher CFM for my remodeling work.

It's not as quiet as the ones you're looking at, but I thought I would through this in the ring, in case you or someone else needs more CFM and can handle the noise over the CAT. The noise is more like a riding mower at idle (but not quite as loud) than at WOT like the pancake compressor I used to have.

Makita USA - Product Details -MAC24

I bought a Mac24 a long time ago, at least 10, maybe 15 years. Used it for a few projects, maybe 100 hours run time overall, now mostly used about 1 or 2 hours a year for tire inflation etc.. Used to be I could easily carry it up and down stairs but it seems to have gotten heavier and now it's easier to run a long line :)

/ Quiet compressors #27  
I can't post a direct link as this is my first post. Search Tractor Supply for Porter Cable 20 Gallon Portable Belt Drive Air Compressor
SKU # 109376499. This style has a very different sound than the direct drive models and it is much less annoying and does not startle me when it comes on.
PorterCable1093764.jpeg
The $349 price is good and I got mine on sale for $289 a few months ago. You will see this same unit in different colors and brands for nearer $500.

/ Quiet compressors #29  
I've got one of these from Harbor Freight..... I regret it every time it comes on. Ridiculously loud! :eek:

21 gal. 2.5 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor
I think that's the identical motor as on my noisy HF unit with a 10 gallon horizontal tank. Yes, the noise is unbearable. I see on the more recent version, the shroud opening faces the end of the tank away from the air-outlet fittings. Maybe that has less of a megaphone effect.

/ Quiet compressors #30  
THAT is EXACTLY what a quiet compressor looks like!
BELT DRIVEN @ slow speed!
I am not aware of any "cheapies" built like that!

Yep, I finally found an old slow compressor and rebuilt it. When it runs it just sort of say's, "plonk, plonk, plonk....."
Bought new, they do cost more than the new style screamers.

Sometimes I wish it would move a little faster, but the real cure there would be a larger reservoir - or put it outside and pipe the air inside.

I just hate the sound of the modern high speed compressors.
rScotty