R14 Tire Durability

/ R14 Tire Durability #1  

Apgamer

Tractor
Kioti CK2610
I purchased a new 2021 Kioti CK2610 back in April of this year and have been using it on our 6 heavily wooded acres in Maine. It came with the new Goodyear/Titan R14s which I thought were pretty cool. I was excited to have loader capacity, plus traction in the snow, plus limited turf damage.

I have put 60 hours on the tractor so far, primarily clearing brush and moving about 160 yards of fill and topsoil with the loader and boxblade. I have not been easy on the tractor, but I think that I have been working it as a tractor should be worked and haven't beat on it excessively. I am not very pleased with how the R14s are holding up. Tons of slashes, gouges, ripped off lugs and a couple of punctures that I have plugged.

This evening I punched a sizeable gash on both front tires that cannot be plugged. Now, this was due to me running over *the same* rusted off t-post that was only sticking out of the ground 2 inches and no tire would have stood up to it. I was very upset with myself, needless to say. However, I am questioning whether I should pay the $50/piece to get vulcanized patches put on, or just replace with two new Carlisle 27x8.5-R15 skid steer tires for $240 that have 8 plys, bead protectors, thick sidewalls, etc.

Is anyone else displeased with their new R14s for woods duty? I had a set of R1s on my last tractor that I beat on and never had an issue with

/ R14 Tire Durability #2  
I purchased a new 2021 Kioti CK2610 back in April of this year and have been using it on our 6 heavily wooded acres in Maine. It came with the new Goodyear/Titan R14s which I thought were pretty cool. I was excited to have loader capacity, plus traction in the snow, plus limited turf damage.

I have put 60 hours on the tractor so far, primarily clearing brush and moving about 160 yards of fill and topsoil with the loader and boxblade. I have not been easy on the tractor, but I think that I have been working it as a tractor should be worked and haven't beat on it excessively. I am not very pleased with how the R14s are holding up. Tons of slashes, gouges, ripped off lugs and a couple of punctures that I have plugged.

This evening I punched a sizeable gash on both front tires that cannot be plugged. Now, this was due to me running over *the same* rusted off t-post that was only sticking out of the ground 2 inches and no tire would have stood up to it. I was very upset with myself, needless to say. However, I am questioning whether I should pay the $50/piece to get vulcanized patches put on, or just replace with two new Carlisle 27x8.5-R15 skid steer tires for $240 that have 8 plys, bead protectors, thick sidewalls, etc.

Is anyone else displeased with their new R14s for woods duty? I had a set of R1s on my last tractor that I beat on and never had an issue with
Your TBN profile shows that you only have a 1980's Ford...... nothing about a 2021 Kioti.

/ R14 Tire Durability
Your TBN profile shows that you only have a 1980's Ford...... nothing about a 2021 Kioti.
Woops, thank you. Updated. The Ford was what had the R1s on it.

/ R14 Tire Durability #4  
It sounds like the R4’s would be better suited to your use.

/ R14 Tire Durability #5  
What ply rating are your R-14's? I had lots of trouble with my front tires till the tire shop sold me a set of 6 ply rating tires. Lots of cut's and scrapes but no flats. The tires are 26x12x12 turf on the front of my 4410 with fel. That's not a factory tire size. I made my own rims because I wanted wider tires for the front of my tractor. These tires have lasted as long as three sets of 2 ply rated tires. It looks like they will wear out before I need to replace them.

/ R14 Tire Durability #6  
...replace with two new Carlisle 27x8.5-R15 skid steer tires for $240 that have 8 plys, bead protectors, thick sidewalls, etc...

Two? You'd have to make sure they would be compatible to mix (diameter-wise) with the two that would remain so you don't risk MFD troubles I think.

/ R14 Tire Durability
I would only replace the two front tires with R4s, leaving the rear R14s in place. If I replace the fronts with the same size, 27x8.5 R15, do you foresee an issue?

/ R14 Tire Durability #8  
I would only replace the two front tires with R4s, leaving the rear R14s in place. If I replace the fronts with the same size, 27x8.5 R15, do you foresee an issue?
Yes, as mudking alludes, better check the rolling radius of the old and the new fronts.

Edit: The stiff skid steer tires might make your tractor front end bounce like a lumber wagon?

Edit II: Might stay with R14's and not drive over fence post stubs. Sorry :)

/ R14 Tire Durability #9  

Coming up on 50 hours on the same tires,Titan R14s, no problems.

/ R14 Tire Durability #10  
I have a relative who borrowed my L5740 a few times for brush hogging shooting lanes. Twice he had flats - not punctures but kind of careless knocking bead loose. His dad paid for repairs but I ended up finding 10 ply R4s for the front, I believe they are 10 x 16. No more problems. When I traded for a L6060, I had the tires swapped. I’m now thinking of replacing them due to tread wear but they’ve been fantastic even putting up with relative’s abusive use. The also have something about high strength sidewall construction.