R14 Tire Durability

/ R14 Tire Durability #11  
What ply rating are your R-14's?
I had lots of trouble with my front tires till the tire shop sold me a set of 6 ply rating tires. Lots of cut's and scrapes but no flats.

R14 tires are a variation on turf tires, therefore four ply, unless things have changed. You should be able to confirm derivation by comparing R14 sizes to turf tires sizes for your tractor.

R4/industrial tires are at least six ply. My Kubota Grand L came with ten ply R4 front tires as factory equipment.

Former high credibility poster FARMWITHJUNK, who operated a commercial highway right-of-way mowing business, outfitted his tractors with R4/industrial tires.

I am a retired marketing guy. In marketing you want every product to be either NEW AND IMPROVED or 25 CENTS OFF.

I purchased a new 2021 Kioti CK2610 in April of this year. I have been using it on our 6 heavily wooded acres in Maine. It came with new Goodyear/Titan R14s which I thought were pretty cool. I am not very pleased with how the R14s are holding up.

I am all for innovation but in the first one to four years a product is out, the consumer is a beta tester.

Last edited:
   / R14 Tire Durability #12  
I wonder if any tire should be expected to stand up to sheared-off T-posts.

I recall a neighbor who used a dozer to clear out a fence row and brush. He sheared off a lot of T-posts. Then he came in with a backhoe and I think he had 3 flats in the first couple days due to stabbing his tires with jagged T-posts.

I agree that heavier / more-plys are better. But I wouldn't buy new tires and then expect them to survive sheared T-posts or whatever you're doing to "rip off lugs".

/ R14 Tire Durability #13  
R14 tires are a variation on turf tires, therefore four ply, unless things have changed. You should be able to confirm derivation by comparing R14 sizes to turf tires sizes for your tractor.

R4/industrial tires are at least six ply. My Kubota Grand L came with ten ply R4 front tires as factory equipment.

Former high credibility poster FARMWITHJUNK, who operated a commercial highway right-of-way mowing business, outfitted his tractors with R4/industrial tires.

I am a retired marketing guy. In marketing you want every product to be either NEW AND IMPROVED or 25 CENTS OFF.

I purchased a new 2021 Kioti CK2610 in April of this year. I have been using it on our 6 heavily wooded acres in Maine. It came with new Goodyear/Titan R14s which I thought were pretty cool. I am not very pleased with how the R14s are holding up.

I am all for innovation but in the first one to four years a product is out, the consumer is a beta tester.
Mine are 6-ply.....but they seem to come anywhere from 4-12ply. According to Goodyear/Titan, they're a cross between an R1 and R4....although I do see they're touting the turf capabilities now too (those marketing guys :))

My tractor is in the woods 95% of the time doing mostly brush and log work.....running over long dead trees and branches. I'm only at 31 hours, but not a mark so far. For my property, I worried the R4s wouldn't have enough traction, but worried about the R1s doing a lot of grapple and loader work in the woods. Hence the R14s. so far so good.

/ R14 Tire Durability #15  
I run my CK2610 with R14 (100 hrs) on 90 acres mostly wood property no problem at all, plus, they are great when snow blowing in winter

/ R14 Tire Durability #16  
from all the damage to your tires in such a short time... have you thought of getting something with steel tracks? maybe a track loader?

/ R14 Tire Durability #17  
Ya, ripping lugs off is a sure sign that you might, just might, be abusing the tires.