R4 and Turf

/ R4 and Turf #1  

marshallcro

Tractor
John Deere 3720, Farmall Cub, Bobcat 3400
I purchased a used JD3720. It has R4 on the front and turf on the back. Is there anything wrong with this setup in the first place and putting chains on the front only for plowing snow. I have a hoe on the back for weight but still had trouble with a 24in snowfall on the grade around the my place. Thanks for advance.

/ R4 and Turf #2  
Now that's a nice tractor. As to tire sizes, with 4wd machines changing from the standard tires all depends on whether the DPO did his homework.
To avoid stressing the drivetrain, you don't want to not deviate too far from the original tire front to rear ratio. The ratio is calculated using "rolling circumference" of the tires. That's not a figure that is printed on the tire, but the often on the tire dealer website. Or the JD dealer will know.
The quick way to tell if you need to pay attention to a tire change like that is:
1. How does it steer in 4wd? In 4wd does the front end still "plow" too much in loose dirt?
2. On your normal dirt surface is it excessively hard to shift the 4wd lever back out of 4wd?

Note that these questions are not 100%. That's because most tractors will plow a bit with the front wheels in loose dirt...and also most tractors with manual 4wd shifters are a little sticky to shift out of 4wd. It's a case of a little is OK but a lot is a warning to take care.
rScotty

/ R4 and Turf #3  
I purchased a used JD3720. It has R4 on the front and turf on the back. Is there anything wrong with this setup in the first place and putting chains on the front only for plowing snow. I have a hoe on the back for weight but still had trouble with a 24in snowfall on the grade around the my place. Thanks for advance.

Gonna bet the PO did what I did with my 2400. It came with R4s. I didn't like the harsh ride. Changing rears from 6 ply, stiff sidewall, small cross sectional area 12x16.5 R4s, to softer sidewall, 4 ply 33x12.5x16.5 (same OD for 4wd compliance) gave me some relief. The R4s remained on the front as it is FEL equipped and I wanted the short, stiff sidewall for the front.

/ R4 and Turf #4  
Gonna bet the PO did what I did with my 2400. It came with R4s. I didn't like the harsh ride. Changing rears from 6 ply, stiff sidewall, small cross sectional area 12x16.5 R4s, to softer sidewall, 4 ply 33x12.5x16.5 (same OD for 4wd compliance) gave me some relief. The R4s remained on the front as it is FEL equipped and I wanted the short, stiff sidewall for the front.

You needed a better seat and not new tires.

/ R4 and Turf #5  

Attachments

• P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010197.JPG
    P1010197.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 102