Rabbit populations

/ Rabbit populations #11  
Deer turkey populations doing very well also black bears,rabbits not so much with coyote .

/ Rabbit populations #12  
We had a wet winter following a few dry years that nearly wiped the dam cottontails out.
Not too many this year but with abundant food I imagine next year I'll be shotting them off the lawn again.
Got a scope for the pellet gun- It's good sport. You throw the front door open and shoot as many as you can

/ Rabbit populations #13  
Almost no rabbits here. We do have good nesting for Great Horned owls though. They don't call em "flying tigers" for nothin.

Last edited:
   / Rabbit populations #14  
Definitely noticed an increase this year at our place. Will see up to 4-5 of various ages in the yard at any given time. They generally do not spook and scatter when walking by them.
Surprising to see an increase especially when I hear the yotes sounding off most nights nearby.

/ Rabbit populations #15  
We have zero rabbits, never have had any over the last 45 years. Two weekends ago, I mowed about 15 acres of a 36 acre property about 1.3 miles from my house and saw about half a dozen! I was impressed enough to slow down and take a picture and let them hop away.
David from jax

/ Rabbit populations
Almost no rabbits here. We do have good nesting for Great Horned owls though. They don't call em "flying tigers" for nothin.
I have not heard the hoot of the great horned owl in a few years… that may be the answer to the rabbit explosion!!

/ Rabbit populations #17  
The Pigmy rabbit population here is growing, State says you can't shoot them as they are an endangered species.

/ Rabbit populations #18  
We had an explosion in the population of ground squirrels this year, but not rabbits.

/ Rabbit populations #19  
They go in cycles here. First the rabbit population takes off and the predator population follows suit. Rabbits get overpopulated, then start to die off from disease, predation, and parasites. (Not necessarily in that order.) Then the predator population drops due to disease, lack of food and lead poisoning. (Again, not necessarily in that order.)

Right now the raccoon population seems to be down due to rabies while mange has culled the coyotes.
Rabbits are on the rebound.

/ Rabbit populations #20  
We had loads of rabbits for many years before Katrina. After Katrina, the swamps around our area had so much activity in them with contractors building levees to prevent flooding in the next hurricane that they ran all the wildlife out of the swamps and into our areas. We had more deer than we had ever seen plus fox that we had never seen before and more coyotes than a thousand road runners could kill. The coyotes cleaned out the rabbit population and then started on the cats, small dogs and chickens.

They worked their way into the suburban areas and got the residents angry and complaining that something needs to be done. The politicians found articles that stated that killing the coyotes just leads to even more coyotes being born and increases the population. They encouraged everyone not to shoot the coyotes. With ever increasing complaints about the coyotes, they voted to hire trappers to start trapping them but the trappers all said it would be a never ending battle getting rid of them and advised the politicians to inform the public to bring in their small animals at night and to never leave food out at night for pets.

I've lost several barn cats and many chickens, most during the day, and have resumed hunting them but it isn't easy. You can sit in a stand for 6 nights straight and go relax on the 7th night and the next morning go out and count your losses. With my dogs and so many neighbors dogs around, poisoning them is out of the question. I have wondered if some type of birth control pill could be used to control the population.