Radiator screen

/ Radiator screen #1  

rifleman1775

Tractor
Mahindra 4540 4WD
Any ideas on easier ways to keep my 4540 radiator from plugging up? Screen? Mowed about 4 1/2 acres at my neighbors and had to clean the radiator off twice. Unlike most of the newer tractors, the 4500 series does not have the removable screens nor does it have much room to get into to do the cleaning. Got to be an easier way than reaching in and cleaning out by hand.

/ Radiator screen #2  
IMG_4347.JPG

I use something similar to this. U can get them at any auto parts store or amazon.

/ Radiator screen #3  
I made a "blow pipe" very similar to what AWSubie posted. Long length of 3/8" pipe screwed into air handle. 45 degree elbow with short chunk of pipe screwed on the end. Allows me to reach to the very bottom of the radiator and blow out everything.

The removable screen directly in front of the radiator is the biggest help though. Stops everything except dust and the very finest chaff.

/ Radiator screen #4  
Best way I have found is to start with the battery powered leaf blower. It will get a lot of the stuff out if you can blow from the backside of the radiator. If I use it I can take it to the field with me and stop when needed to blow out the seeds/leaves/chaff. Then when I get back to the shed I use the air hose with something like above to really clean it out.

/ Radiator screen #5  
I use a leaf blower for my lawn mowers and tractors. I take it out with me when I'm mowing or cutting, and set it out of the way. Then I circle back to it occasionally, or after mowing, and blow off everything. By everything, I mean the engines, radiators, all areas that collect debris on the tractor and the rotary mower top. All that blows off easily when it's fresh, and I can get the radiators clear in a hurry. Then I drive back to the barn which is enough time for a cooldown for the equipment.
For deeper cleaning I use the air wand like shown above, but don't need to very often.

/ Radiator screen #6  
If possible mow earlier in the year when the grass is still green and not so dried out with seed heads.

/ Radiator screen #7  
Here's what I did for my 4025.
I cleaned the radiator with the scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner, and then applied the velcro. When the filter gets dirty I just shake it off and reapply. 20190902_155459.jpeg20190902_160412.jpeg20190902_160507.jpeg20190902_160737.jpeg

/ Radiator screen #8  
   / Radiator screen #9  
It will restrict a little, that's why I made sure the radiator was clean and I plan on keeping it clean from here on out.
Ron, does it restrict ANY air flow?
If not, thats a good idea.

Our 5010C gets clogged up real fast too.

/ Radiator screen #10  
Did you buy the tractor new? I ask because my 2008 4530 has a removable screen in front of the radiator.