rail anvil build

/ rail anvil build #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Here is an anvil I built from a rail X years ago. I believe its made with 120lb rail, nonetheless, the whole thing is quite heavy and works very well..
P1060956.jpg

/ rail anvil build #2  
Nice work, they are handy to have around. Mine sits outside, I need to make a better stand for it. I have it on a cut off log.
ArlyA, do you have a forge? I cobbled one together out of an old propane tank, using a Hair drier for a blower. I played around with knife making, a while back, didn’t get too proficient at it.

Mike
57C02756-10FD-4143-B316-E75F46E6A0A4.jpeg

Mike

/ rail anvil build #3  
I really like how you've built it onto a stand. Almost looks like art.

/ rail anvil build
Nice work, they are handy to have around. Mine sits outside, I need to make a better stand for it. I have it on a cut off log.
ArlyA, do you have a forge? I cobbled one together out of an old propane tank, using a Hair drier for a blower. I played around with knife making, a while back, didn’t get too proficient at it.

Mike
View attachment 752308

Mike
No forges here Mike. My style is more like "need to own Bridgeport" than forge. (I don't have one)

/ rail anvil build #6  
You guys are to kind. Its much more funtion than art.
I'd call it both. I have a piece of track a little smaller and one much smaller,neither with a stand near that nice.

/ rail anvil build #8  

Mike
Did you pull out for lack of sufficient heat or what ?
No forges here Mike. My style is more like "need to own Bridgeport" than forge. (I don't have one)
If there is enough interest in forges,maybe we could cuss and discuss building gas forge.

/ rail anvil build #9  
Did you pull out for lack of sufficient heat or what ?

If there is enough interest in forges,maybe we could cuss and discuss building gas forge.
That wasn’t a problem, i was able to get plentry of heat out of it. I used lump hardwood, as a heat source. I just sort of lost interest and free time for that particular hobby. I tend to bounce around on my interests, doing more woodworking lately.
image.jpg

/ rail anvil build #10  
That looks like a really heavy duty anvil and stand.
Good work!