Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,041  
My nephew works for bnsf but I've not heard from him concerning his work. I guess a rr strike is on topic...

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,043  
My neifew works for bnsf but I've not heard from him concerning his work. I guess a rr strike is on topic...
If you think so. We'll see how it goes, but my guess is we'll want to revert to pics and stories shortly. Hate to see a fun and interesting thread moved to behind closed doors. Maybe start a discussion on that aspect of RRs in the front porch?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,044  
We've been having a major wild fire just East of Oakridge Oregon. Called the Cedar Creek Fire. I've been hearing many more trains then normal that run the Union Pacific line which goes right through the worst of the active fire zone. Even Amtak still seems to be running.
Thought this odd, till I learned about the fire trains, which not only protect the track, but are being used to maintain a fire line corridor.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,045  
A recent film made about the delivery of the Big boys. Kind of over dramatic but still a neat film.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,046  
I frequently ride a bike trail in Western PA. that shares the Brush tunnel with the Western Maryland Scenic railroad. Last week, I almost got caught in the tunnel with the oncoming train!

IMG_002396.JPG
IMG_002392b.jpg

The engineer is supposed to sound his horn when approaching the tunnel but for some reason, he didn't on this occasion.

Right behind the train came a bunch of these pedal cars:

IMG_002410b.jpg
IMG_002414b.jpg
IMG_002415b.jpg

They were followed by this tender:

IMG_002416b.jpg

From all the laughter, everyone seemed to be having a great time!

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,047  
The A/C in the F40 locomotive must not be working, judging by the open door on the front end.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,049  
It's such a shame the railroads had to resort to using those enclosed auto carrier cars. As a kid, I used to like to watch the old open style railcars loaded with new vehicles and pick out the one I liked best as they rolled by.

Sadly, at some point in time, vandals decided it was great sport to throw rocks off overpasses and the damage to these new vehicles became costly enough to warrant these "armored" railcars.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,050  
Actually the covered cars are to discourage vandals and provide a rolling billboard for the spray painters that like to cover them with graphics. Also why all locomotive windshields are made from bullet proof high impact resistant glass.