range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift?

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Had the rk55hc just a week now. Only had the chance to use it twice due to extreme work schedule.

Went from M to L to unload. Went back to M to move some hay after getting the bale spear on. Thought I was going to Brea the shifter to get it back to M.

Is it just really super duper stiff normally, or stiff from just not being broke in yet I'm hoping?

I mean, the shifter rod is flexing pretty good...

Don't want to break my new friend, so asking if this is expected.

Thanks

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #2  
Different brand/color and size, but I've found that when I have trouble getting into H, L or 2W/4W, if I move the tractor a few inches, it'll drop in fine. Seems like there is a mesh point that works. Probably not describing that right though.

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #3  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 can still be a PITA to do a range change at times. I will say that since I bought it new in 2009 - things have improved over time. But at speeds so slow - you almost need to set stakes to see improvement. Keep the faith and do as Diggin it and I do a lot of times. The tiniest bit of tractor movement is a MAJOR assist in completing a range change. However - notice, we both said a TINY bit of movement. Go at dead slow and shouldn't need to move more than six inches.

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift?
Never thought of a hydro needing to be moving to change.. But.. It's the first hydro I've owned ( I have driven a few pieces of hydro road equipment though..but a different animal. ).

Hopefully ill get some time on it this weekend to play more.. Learn how to turn the pto on, etc ;)

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #5  
Never thought of a hydro needing to be moving to change.. But.. It's the first hydro I've owned

MovED, not movING. Found that out earlier today when I got that dreaded gear grinding noise while rolling just barely. It needs to be fully stopped, but you may need to move it before stopping again to get the lever locked in.

Is yours hydro?

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #7  
Never thought of a hydro needing to be moving to change.. But.. It's the first hydro I've owned ( I have driven a few pieces of hydro road equipment though..but a different animal. ).

Hopefully ill get some time on it this weekend to play more.. Learn how to turn the pto on, etc ;)
Mine is pretty stiff going from L to M. I press the HST pedal ever so slightly, dont really move the tractor. That is usually enough to allow it to slip into M.

/ range selector for hst supposed to be extremely hard to shift? #9  
My RK37 Shuttle shift is the same. It is extremely hard to change the range selector. I basically just keep mine in medium now. It is pretty much the best range for what I'm doing.

Ok, good to hear. Yup, I got mine to medium. That looks to be fine for anything other than just straight out road travel.