Rant on shipping

/ Rant on shipping #941  
The problem is when somebody is hired as a permanent full time USPS employee they have to at that point put aside money to pay for their retirement if they stay for their entire career.

Aaron Z

/ Rant on shipping #942  
I saw that huge ship is still stuck in the Suez. Egypt is getting pissed because they are missing out on fees from boats passing thru.

The boats owner has another boat exactly like the one that's stuck, they redirected around Africa.

I just wonder how much more $?

/ Rant on shipping #943  
Upper level management is the problem. Then again it usually is. My local PO is open from 8:30 to 11:00; then from 1:00 to 3:30.
Because they will only put a temp there, every X number of days they have to take off (without pay) and start over. I believe they also have to reapply for the position. For some reason they can't keep people... imagine that.
Of course, part of the problem is all these little post offices in one-horse towns that cost money to run, but generate very little revenue. Of course every time the PM general even suggests closing some of them (or instituting other cost-cutting moves) Congress gets their shorts all in a knot and won't allow it.

/ Rant on shipping #944  
Of course, part of the problem is all these little post offices in one-horse towns that cost money to run, but generate very little revenue. Of course every time the PM general even suggests closing some of them (or instituting other cost-cutting moves) Congress gets their shorts all in a knot and won't allow it.
That may be somewhat true and I am not arguing. There is much more fat to cut in the huge operations though than in the one horse towns.

/ Rant on shipping #945  
There is more than one horse in the town I live in, but I do know that the local UPS store also takes USPS mail and has Private Mailboxes (like PO Boxes). That is where it likely will go, unless UPS does not serve one horse towns. :oops:

/ Rant on shipping #946  
Good point, and I'm in one of those "one horse towns". The PO once was a room in the general store but they decided to make it a stand alone place. Now the general store is gone and they keep talking about closing the post office. The same place serves 6 towns, totaling about 700 people.

/ Rant on shipping #947  
I lived in a town that an old post office with roughly 100 boxes and one teller was just 3 miles from the main PO in the town. They talked about closing it but the folks that walk to it fought it. Closing it only makes sense in the era.

/ Rant on shipping #948  
Doing the 30 day Prime trial gig. I really don't like the company, but check there for prices sometimes. Found a couple of things I needed and a few promotions that sweetened the deals. Decided to give it a whirl.

Twice now during that 30 days, I've placed orders on Wednesday or Thursday, only to be given delivery dates of the following Tuesday. Thing is, the stuff sits for three or four of those days, then ships Sunday or Monday, FedEx next day. I don't see how that makes sense. Sit on the order for several days, then ship using the highest cost method rather than shipping within a day and using a lower cost method does not compute.
The included Prime Video sold me on signing up. Cheaper than Netflix.

/ Rant on shipping #949  
Yep... the local drug store had a postal counter... most convenient.

Asked what happened and learned consolidation.

I hope things don't consolidate too much as I am partner in a post office!

That said, I can show you all the buildings in town where the post office once was and same for stately Bank of America branches

/ Rant on shipping #950  
That may be somewhat true and I am not arguing. There is much more fat to cut in the huge operations though than in the one horse towns.
You say there is more fat to cut. Can you be more specific and what facts are you basing that on?