Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains?

/ Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains? #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
Hi All! Going to purchase a 72" Ratchet Rake for our 72" bucket. Deciding which attachment system to get. Same price for regular RR or Forestry but have to buy chains for the latter. Both are the same except for attachment type.
Appears that only reason to get the chain system is for durability. How much of concern is breaking the strap/cable system? I saw a few forum entries regarding this.
Seems like the strap/cable system would be easier to handle.
RR will not get particularly heavy duty use.
What do you think?

/ Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains? #2  
I have smashed my ratchets on the straps. Tree limbs got em. I'll be getting chained

/ Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains? #3  
I have had two Ratchet Rakes on two different size Kubotas.

Mech + straps lasted 400 engine hours on the first tractor without repair, then I sold it.

Bought two replacement Ratchet Straps at TSC after 600 engine hours on second tractor, L3560. Ratchet mechanism was bent to dysfunctional state before straps were abraded.

I have had no discernible wear on the steel cables.

Replace the clevis shackles that come with the RR with bolted and pinned clevis shackles. Pin unscrews from the originals.

LINK: 3/8" SHACKLE, CLEVIS, SAFETY PIN PEERLESS 1 TON WWL | eBay

Last edited:
   / Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains? #4  
I just finished making mine and I used strap all the way around. I slid the strap through heavy braided hose hoping that will protect it from abrasion. Having said that, I havnt had a chance to test it out yet so I can't say whether it works!

image-378147582.jpg

/ Ratchet Rake - Strap & Cable or Binder & Chains? #5  
I use chains and binders and the problem is the chains are too tight or too loose when moving to the next link. A ratcheting binder might be better than the over-center type, however.
I would probably go with straps and ratchets the next time. Good idea-putting the straps thru a piece of hose!