RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right

/ RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
As above...
Upper seal has 'stop' flange, so depth is obvious.
Lower seal does not.
(The bearing does have a groove to go past, to show depth for lower bearing.)

So, does lower seal go in:

far enough to 'touch' bearing, or
just flush to shaft housing,
or anywhere in between.

I went with deep to bearing, as shaft has a bit of protrusion 'into' shaft housing area.
I can still feel the shaft engage seal surface as it goes in.

Anyone familiar?

/ RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right #2  
I went with deep to bearing, as shaft has a bit of protrusion 'into' shaft housing area.
I can still feel the shaft engage seal surface as it goes in.

Anyone familiar?

I don’t quite understand the sentence that I’ve highlighted in blue.

I replaced the bearings on an outside spindle on my 60 inch version of the same deck. I believe I just put the seals flush with the housing surface. You do want the seal orientation such that excess grease that is pumped in comes out the bottom seal (blade end). I believe my deck is a RCK60-22BX. It is on my BX2200.

/ RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right
Trying to say:
A visual quick check showed the shaft flange could not go flush to housing with a perfectly flush seal, there was a radius (filet?) between shaft and flange, and then a bit of shaft that was not machined down as much as the seal area. So, the seal needed to be, at least, a bit down in the housing, but I have no guidance as to how far.
I did find others' Youtube stuff with recessed seals, so I do not feel too bad about mine

/ RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right #4  
I think I just put mine flush, but don’t remember for sure. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures and it’s been a while.

Edit: The parts manual I have for my deck is for a RCK60B-22BX

Last edited:
   / RCK5422BX mower spindle shaft seal, left, right #5  
Here is the page from the mower deck Workshop manual which covers both of our decks.

IMG_0924.png