Read posts keep showing as unread......

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
When I open up TBN in the morning, I get the list of new posts highlighted in yellow. For some unknown reason, sometimes, I get a lot more of them. I even get those that I have read or even created as being new. I have cleared all my cookies numerous times and have never found a way to correct this. I get this "error" back till the 16th in time on the next page (2).... You will note that the top post is one that I created on July 16th.. What's up with this? Has the poltergeist invaded my computer also????? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 465589-tbn1 (600 x 430).jpg
    465589-tbn1 (600 x 430).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 105
   / Read posts keep showing as unread...... #2  
Did you refresh that page before taking the screen shot?

/ Read posts keep showing as unread......
No I didn't. I find this happening many times a day. I have even marked all posts read and then opened a new window and close all other windows, and all the post appear to be read in all forums. An hour later, I get the same type of screen view with post unread. I have even tried rebooting the computer and nothing resolves the problem. I thought at one time that the computer was saving the last "screen picture" and that is why I did the "all posts read" before closing down the computer. I can live with it, but would rather resolve this if possible. It helps me with my Senior moments..... I get to re read what I have already read 3 times..... LOL..... thanks...

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #4  
Junkman,

One solution would be to try another web browser. Check out Mozilla at Mozilla.org or it's little cousin FireFox (same address).

Hypernix

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #5  
Junkman,

You may recall that I was experiencing similar problems a short time ago. Then again, if you're really having some senior moments, maybe you don't! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Someone (I'm sorry, but I don't recall who /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh, oh - senior moment!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) suggested that I actually log out when I leave the site. Of course, that requires that you log back in when you come back, but if you've been deleting your cookies anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, since I started doing that, I've not experienced the problem again. Might be worth a try! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #6  
Usually it's just an issue of your browser loading the page from its cache (aka temporary internet files), rather than reconnecting to our server and checking to see what it should display.

If you refresh, your browser then reconnects to our server, which SHOULD display the correct markings on messages read and unread.

If it still displays incorrectly after refreshing, then the next steps are to delete cookies and temporary internet files. While it shouldn't hurt, it's rather abnormal to constantly delete cookies. On the extreme end, a browser repair/reinstall may be in order if your browser isn't functioning properly.

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #7  
I get something simplar to this.....If I click on "Mark all read" from the "Main Index" level, then all of the forums change to the grey tractor icon, and indicate there are no unread messages. However, if I go to the individual forums, then there are bunches of threads shown with the yellow background and yellow tractor icon.

I guess "Mark all read" is not quite correct /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dave

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #8  
It only marks them read on the main index, for your current visit. Should be marked as read within the forums after you leave the site, close your browser, and come back.

Main purpose of marking all read on the main index is so it will load quicker. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif This was more of a concern when we displayed how many new posts were in each forum. That feature has since been disabled to save server resources.

/ Read posts keep showing as unread...... #9  
I don't know what operating system you're using - I use Win98SE. Every once in a while I get gliches that don't correct well with cache/cookie deletion. I then go into Start/Settings/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs. I try to remove Internet Explorer - it begs me to reconsider and offers to check/repair the program. Click on "Repair Internet Explorer" and reboot. This has taken care of problems in the past.

I don't have any experience with any of the newer Windows OSs, so I don't know if this function is available in other OSs

/ Read posts keep showing as unread......
I am using Windows XP Professional. I tried your suggestion, but there is no listing to remove Internet Explorer, just to remove the last update. Thanks for the suggestion....