Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks
Another bonus you get is a 2 speed transfer case (low range) with the automatic

@Hay Dude, you should have bought that truck by now.
I know, I feel that way, too. Really worried about the economy and the future right now. There’s also more than a few things I don’t like about the truck. I can deal with a few of them, but the drawbacks are:
1. (6) Chinese tires. Although I looked up the brand “Arisun” and they get decent reviews.
2. Seeping oil on front inside axle seal.
3. Unknown cost of 20’ flatbed (guessing 10 grand +)
4. 34,000lb rears, would prefer 40’s
5. A bit underpowered & small displacement (DT466 @ 250/680)
6. 4 speed automatic with no park pawl.
7. No exhaust brake

I can change 1-3 with more money. Can’t change 4-7 at all or without lots of money, which will all likely be spent on 1-3.
Might be able to eek a few more hp out of the DT466. I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Last edited:
   / Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #74  
Went to see & drive truck today. Other than 6x6, automatic and aftermarket AC, it’s very basic.
But everything works and it’s in good condition.
Rear axles have Detroit lockers
It was used by the Seabees on a Navy base in Florida, then brought up north 15 years ago. Not used in winter.

View attachment 723458
Well that's certainly different than your first truck pic in your first post. I guess I missed the part where you're looking at this one now.

This one may well do what you're looking for more efficiently then the army truck.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #75  
I know, I feel that way, too. Really worried about the economy and the future right now. There’s also more than a few things I don’t like about the truck. I can deal with a few of them, but the drawbacks are:
1. (6) Chinese tires. Although I looked up the brand “Arisun” and they get decent reviews.
2. Seeping oil on front inside axle seal.
3. Unknown cost of 20’ flatbed (guessing 10 grand +)
4. 34,000lb rears, would prefer 40’s
5. A bit underpowered & small displacement (DT466 @ 250/680)
6. 4 speed automatic with no park pawl.
7. No exhaust brake

I can change 1-3 with more money. Can’t change 4-7 at all or without lots of money, which will all likely be spent on 1-3.
Might be able to eek a few more hp out of the DT466. I have a few tricks up my sleeve.
The tires may be ok, depending on how severe the off road conditions are. The rest seems minor. The no parking pawl on the A/T is actually a good thing. Way too easy to break off a parking pawl with a load on it. All of our medium duty wreckers were set up with no park on the trans, but either air brakes (and the air brake "park" if you will) or there was a separate park brake on the driveline. I would prefer using the air brakes for "park" myself. I'm guessing it's air brakes on this truck?

Engine exhaust brake can be added more than likely, but yeah, that's not going to be cheap.

Air brakes
S Cams on back
Wedge up front

Well that's certainly different than your first truck pic in your first post. I guess I missed the part where you're looking at this one now.

This one may well do what you're looking for more efficiently then the army truck.
Looking at lots of them. Military buys a lot of different configurations and brands, but the basic theme for me is a long chassis 6x6.
Drove 2 used ones so far, made calls on a few more that are far away.
Got wacked with an unexpected repair last week. Gotta see how bad a beatin Hay Dudes bank account takes next week.

BTW: got a quote on a 20’ steel flatbed with 54” cab shield installed for $9000. Old stock from last year
New one is $11,500

Last edited:
   / Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #78  
I see lots of beds in Lancaster Farming (take offs) that are very cheap, particularly in those longer lengths.
Are you over in the s/e corner of PA? I remember a picture over the tractor hood in DE.

I see lots of beds in Lancaster Farming (take offs) that are very cheap, particularly in those longer lengths.
Are you over in the s/e corner of PA? I remember a picture over the tractor hood in DE.

I have been thinking about used flatbeds, too.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #80  
On the IH, I would ask the current owner how the tires perform in the field. From the pic, it would seem to me that they would mud up? Does it have dual brake chambers to provide the emergency brakes? If so, as long as the brakes are properly adjusted, you won't have to worry about a parking pawl. I have only driven a few auto's, none had a pawl. Nothing wrong with a used body that a little paint and maybe a little welding cannot fix. Good luck with your search.