"Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #121  
Diamondpilot said:
You are right, its not the same on but I have pulled a travel trailer to compare it. 9 mpg is nothing to brag about but it is what it is white these rolling box cars. Many of my customers also pull them with GM and Ford 1/2 tons and see right around 8 to 9 mpg.

Glad you are smart enough to figure that out detective Barney Fife.

I guarantee you there is very little difference between a 6,000# camper or box trailer anywhere from 10 feet to 100 feet. The squared off back end is the issue.

What I was getting at was there was some real world data done just this week in a parallel thread.
Thanks for all you concern. Now lets talk about how GM and Dodge are bailed out....

Chris
:laughing:
Too funny, can't make the GM's and Dodge's look bad so let's go with the old faithful bailout comments. So when's Ford paying back their share...? :laughing:

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #122  
Friend drives an 08 Duramax crew cab 4x4 and pulls a double axle trailer with two Dixie Chopper lawn mowers on it and told me his fuel cost last year were just short of $10,000. That's a chunk of change just for the truck(didn't count the lawn mowers, handheld equipment, etc.). Diesel only pays for me with my tractors these days, everything else is gas.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #123  
Dmace said:
Too funny, can't make the GM's and Dodge's look bad so let's go with the old faithful bailout comments. So when's Ford paying back their share...? :laughing:

I said this because it gets your panties all in a bunch just like mentioned by another member a few days ago. We get a kick at laughing at you scramble and pull at strings about Ford did this and that. If it makes you sleep at night go for it.

Chris

Last edited:
   / "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #124  
My newest (08) duramax gets 15.5-17 on the highway. With EFI tuning. Virtually no difference before or after tuning. I had an 06 dually that got the same. Only it averaged 11-13 loaded. The 08 gets at best 10. Averages 8 pulling my 26ft travel trailer. It weighs 6300 empty.
I can pull my tandem dual gooseneck and get 9.5 to 10 mpg.

Our '08 Dmax gets around 12 pulling a low profile 29' travel trailer.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #125  

Sssssssttttttttoooooooooooooooppppppppppppp!!!! If this thread goes to bailout jargon, I will vomit. Now, as for the duramax....we have a 1 ton 2wd CC auto @ work. It regularly pulls a 32 ft gooseneck with a mid size mini excavator and tools. The truck is an 09. Total load is around 12k lbs, trailer and equipment. We see, on average, 11.5 mpg, mixed city and highway. The 03 Cummins we had (manual, we sold it with 300k miles) was seeing around 14 with the same load. The duramax feels a little stronger, as it is 7 years newer, but can't touch the cummins in fuel mileage. We are just over 100k miles on the dmax. No major issues yet but for an alternator and u-joint.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #126  
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf
I find that the EPA mandates are robbing Peter to pay Paul- you clean up the exhaust by burning more fuel. But, regardless of how you justify it, deleting anything is breaking federal law. And don't respond "if they don't catch you, it's ok", or something like that. Breaking the law is breaking the law, whether you get caught or not.

Been a while since I've been here, but wanted to respond to this.

Hodge: have you ever been speeding before? Had too much to drink before getting in the car? Downloaded a song or video? Watched copyrighted works on Youtube? Recorded a show onto DVD or VHS ("Fair Use" technically does not apply there, the MPAA has gone after people for that it's just incredibly difficult to find out about it).

If you have done any of those, you broke the law. So many things I could say to this. Do I go with "let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

And don't say "speeding isn't nearly as severe a crime," thousands more people die a year in automobile crashes in America than get shot and die.

I've also yet to meet the guy who got busted or fined over deletes. So long as you live in a state without inspections, how are they going to know? Any change from state level inspections to federal would get jammed in congress no doubt, and the EPA's budget barely allows them to cover all their assigned bases, let alone searching every John, Dick, and Barry's light duty diesel.

As far as warranty work, there is such a thing as a dealer who understands that EGR and DPF hurt an engine more than help it. Delete friendly dealers exist, just ask about them on your respective make's favorite forum.

/ "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #127  
Hello Everyone! I just picked up my 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 with the LM2 Line 6. I have put 900 miles on it and the best fuel economy I have achieved is still below 25 mpg on the highway. Full disclosure, I'm in Alaska and the temps have been hovering around zero consistently, but even with using Diesel #1 up here, I still figured I'd be able to achieve higher numbers than that. how to get 30 mpg with a Duramax I had an 09 6.6l sierra that I could get 24mpg out of on the Highway, and my 328d BMW gets a whopping 44+ mpg on the highway in the summer, and as high as 40mpg on the highway in winter driving. What is everyone else getting on their LM2 engines? And yes, I'm driving it SUPER EASY and still not getting anything near the EPA ratings.

Last edited:
   / "Real World" diesel fuel mileage on Duramax #128  
This is a really old thread but I'll say that my 2019 L5P has had increased MPGs once I crossed 20k miles. Breakin