Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas?

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
I have been looking to get a disc harrow for quite some time. I have always thought about getting a lift-type disc. But then I said to myself, "Self, the more weight on each disc the better it will cut." So I think a pull-type would be better. I just recently changed this philosophy from lift to pull-type. I don't think I would really need the maneuverability that a 3-pt lift disc offers. The advantage of the extra weight would outweigh the benefit of maneuverability! (pun intended). Problem is I want something really heavy but only 8' wide. I can find eight footers that aren't that heavy and I can find heavy ones that are too wide. I have looked at Monroe Tufline discs. I would like to get something in the 3,000# range! Any ideas?

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #2  
The best ever as far as I'm concerned were built by International Harvester back in the '60's and 70's. I used a 10' IH model 350 for the better part of 30 years. It was a gem. Sold it 2 years ago. Mistake.

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #3  
I have a pull type disc and the only problem I have with the pull type is at times I would like to move the disc to a location over areas where I don't want the disc to tear up the ground. My disc is adjustable so there isn't much of a mark left on the ground but sometimes that mark and the weight of the disc can be too much.

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas?
Farwell said:
I have a pull type disc and the only problem I have with the pull type is at times I would like to move the disc to a location over areas where I don't want the disc to tear up the ground. My disc is adjustable so there isn't much of a mark left on the ground but sometimes that mark and the weight of the disc can be too much.

Well, I WOULD want one that could be lifted hydraulically and ride on pneumatic wheels. I would NOT want a "drag" harrow.

I just thought of something else. Would it be possible to get a 21' or 24' hydraulic folding wing type of disc with hydraulic lift and remove the two "wings"?

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #6  
JoeinTX said:
"Any ideas?.."

Yep. To get that heavy for an 8' disc you're probably going to be looking at an offset as opposed to a tandem disc:.....

I was thinking that may be the case. Can you turn right with an offset disc?
Those Kello-Bilt ones are right on! 7 1/2' wide, over 3400#, 170lbs per disc!!

Thanks a lot for those links!!

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #8  
Yes, you can use them just like any normal tandem....left or right....but I always lift mine out of the ground on turns to prevent ridging anyway so it wouldn't matter.

General rule of them with an offset is 10hp per foot......so around 80hp for your 8' if you're really going to use it for hard plowing.

Friend of mine bought a heavier duty 10' Krause offset and uses it behind a AC 8010 (105hp) and he says it's just about all that tractor wants on some days.

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #9  
Glowplug said:
I have been looking to get a disc harrow for quite some time. I have always thought about getting a lift-type disc. But then I said to myself, "Self, the more weight on each disc the better it will cut." So I think a pull-type would be better. I just recently changed this philosophy from lift to pull-type. I don't think I would really need the maneuverability that a 3-pt lift disc offers. The advantage of the extra weight would outweigh the benefit of maneuverability! (pun intended). Problem is I want something really heavy but only 8' wide. I can find eight footers that aren't that heavy and I can find heavy ones that are too wide. I have looked at Monroe Tufline discs. I would like to get something in the 3,000# range! Any ideas?

My neighbor gave me an old Towner 6.5 ft offset disc a while ago. I pull it with my Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 40-45 hp drawbar).

DSCF0292Small.jpg

It probably weighs close to 1000 lb. I couldn't lift it with the FEL on my Kubota B7510HST which has 800 lb lift capability. It has convenient trays for adding extra weight. It's a trip disc. Pull the right rope to trip the disc when making turns. Pull the left rope to set the working angle between the front and rear gangs.

I see a lot of larger tandem and offset wheel discs for sale around here on craigslist and in the local weekly super market classifieds. Maybe you can find what you want this way and save a lota bucks.

/ Really heavy 8' pull-type disc--Any Ideas? #10  
A lot will depend on what type of ground and terrain that you have. An offset is generally considered to dig a bit more aggressively, and I do not think that you are supposed to turn to the right very sharp. It puts a lot of strain on the unit as a whole. :eek: Some of the old drag disks were set up so that right turns could be made,:cool: but I think that any new wheeled transport disk is going to be a left turn only type of disk. :(

We have 22" notched disk blades on our old Kelfer (John Deere) offset drag disks, and they seam to work pretty good. I pull an 8 footer (about 2500 lbs) with my Mahindra. I have pulled our 12 footer ( about 4000lbs) before, but only on pretty much flat ground, and it will not pull it through a second time at a 30 degree angle, which makes the ground very nice. Our old D6 pulls the 12 footer most of the time. When pulling our disks, the blades are usually cutting 8-9 inches deep.:D That is a lot of drag being put on the machines and the disk units themselves. Here are a few pics of our setup.

Attachments

• P2090016.JPG
    P2090016.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 510
  • P2090015.JPG
    P2090015.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 798
  • P2090031.JPG
    P2090031.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 456
  • p1080068.jpg
    p1080068.jpg