Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
Now I will admit, I don't know a darn thing about diesel fuels. Never touched a diesel motor, much less owned one before I bought my tractor several months ago. A friend of mine told me to use the off road diesel, since it is significantly cheaper, and basically the same as the on road stuff you would buy for passenger vehicles except for the colored dye to mark the off road stuff.

Then the other day another friend tells me that I shouldn't be using the off road diesel in my tractor, because there are significant deficiencies in the off road stuff, particularly lubrication of engine parts, that are detrimental to the engine.

So, who is correct?

And I sure do hope that there isn't going to be 50 percent saying one, and the other 50 percent saying the other is correct. :/

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #2  
It’s not significantly cheaper in the first place. Even less so if you don’t have a card for sales tax exemption. Second it’s exactly the same fuel with red dye added. People burn that in multi million dollar construction and mining equipment. Your friend isn’t entirely wrong about the fuel being lacking. The fuel of decades ago was more lubricating. The government required them to significantly reduce the sulfur content. But all fuel has that problem not just off-road fuel.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #5  
70 cents/gallon difference in price here

The fuel tax in Tennessee is 26 cents per gallon. Having a sales tax exemption would more than double your savings.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #6  
Quality-wise, the only difference between on-road and off-road diesel is the red dye. I used to be the one adding the red dye. 250 ml per 8000 gallons of diesel if I remember correctly. The red dye denotes off-road fuel and as such the dyed fuel doesn't have to have the road tax added to it when sold, making it significantly cheaper.

Just don't get caught with dyed diesel in your on-road vehicle. Around here the DOT has been known to stop diesel pickup on the highway and "dip" the fuel tank. If dyed diesel is discovered there is a huge fine and they confiscate the pickup!

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #7  
The state troopers will sometimes even stop traffic exiting the county fairgrounds and dip the tanks.

I know one individual that runs the fuel through a barrel full of kitty litter and then filters it to remove the dye. I have better things to do than try to illegally save 50 cents.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #8  
I'm not sure where to purchase red dye diesel. Sometimes I can get regular diesel tax free, but it isn't really worth the effort for a 5 gallon can that lasts me several months. Ask the station attendant

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #9  
I have to go about 20 miles (choice of directions) to get to a supplier who carries off road fuel. If I had a big tank, they would deliver.

Here you need to fill out paperwork and get approved to buy it. It can save a lot depending on the volume you use.

/ Really, really dumb question about difference between off road and on road diesel fuel. #10  
70 cents/gallon difference in price here
74 cents/gallon here. And if you can get the full farm tax exemption comes out to 80 cents/gallon.

For the person buying 5 gallon at a time the hassle of finding off road fuel isn't worth the savings. But if you are buying large quantity at a time then it makes since. Just had 250 gallon delivered back in January.