Rear Axle Failure, Max 28, Service Manual Pages?

/ Rear Axle Failure, Max 28, Service Manual Pages?
That is really innovative thinking on your repair and I hope it works out long term. How did you make the epoxy to bond to the metal?
Brake cleaner, but what helped was spreading the Devon putty out like silly putty, letting it partially cure, then chiseling and pulled the stuff out. The paint, imbedded casting sand, etc. came out, leaving bare clean cast iron. The liquid epoxy then had good adhesion.

The I'st question is the best.
"Why am I clearing more land?"
I'm too old for this.
In less than a 70' x 50' area after harvesting a few cords of firewood look at the stump and brush piles.
Would not want to do this with an axe and Oxen.
Total new area cleared is at most an acre. and I even left it partially wooded.
Put an tank of fuel thru the repaired Max28 and used it very hard as my L39 is down for service for install of a new diverter valve.

Going to have lots of grapple work when I get it back.

Attachments

• 20220910_151225_HDR.jpg
    20220910_151225_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 91
  • 20220910_151229_HDR.jpg
    20220910_151229_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220910_151244_HDR.jpg
    20220910_151244_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 94
  • 20220910_151252.jpg
    20220910_151252.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 93
  • 20220910_154638.jpg
    20220910_154638.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
Still going strong, but I'm not, as shoulder surgery now has me out of commission at least 3 months.

PS,

My axle lock works great now, since I added the shim washer and replaced the chewed up dog sleeve.
From now on, I will be gentle using the axle lock to prevent damaging it again. Never engage it on the fly. It should be made of hardened steel.

Attachments

• 20220910_154638.jpg
    20220910_154638.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 20220927_150939.jpg
    20220927_150939.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220927_151141.jpg
    20220927_151141.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
   / Rear Axle Failure, Max 28, Service Manual Pages? #34  
Wow, that is unfortunate. I tell you, after seeing all the problems my neighbor has had with his Max 28, I would never recommend that model series to anyone. Since they are Mitsubishi made I had expected them to be good, but they are just not well made compared to other models and brands. Wiring and hydraulics have been the typical failure points for people, so seeing this is a new one for me.
The Max 28 series tractor came from the Mahindra factory in Maharashtr, India. Might explain the failure, not really sure how much Mitsubishi quality control was involved even with a joint venture with the construction.

Last edited:
The Max 28 series tractor came from the Mahindra factory in Maharashtr, India. Might explain the failure, not really sure how much Mitsubishi quality control was involved even with a joint venture with the construction.
So the Max26/28 are made in Maharashtr, India, even though it is a Mitsubishi design? Very interesting.

My Max28 shuttle tractor now has +30 hours of typical hard use on it since my glue it back together repair. I think it is stronger than the original thin wall casting bearing support. I have no concerns. Also the rear axle lock shim modification makes it much easier and more positive to engage the axle lock.

Ps FYI: This filter is a bit longer, but this hydraulic filter fits just fine on my shuttle shift model.

Last edited:
   / Rear Axle Failure, Max 28, Service Manual Pages? #36  
I have logged more than 400hrs and no issues to speak of.. Having done some additional modifications like you, I have pushed the Max 28 far beyond what a tractor should do. I am sure you have as well. I never use the locking differential as it was sticky 10 years ago and seemed hard to engage. When in a "sticky situation" and typically "High Centered" I use the brakes to create the mechanical advantage that cannot be done easily on a hydro-static drive. I am fond of the shuttle with direct drive and have had zero issue with the power not only through the PTO but pulling logs out of the woods. Having such a strong loader both in lift and breakout force steering can be difficult from the amount of weight that I have placed in front. I will be checking the drain plug that you have mentioned for metal particles....

I have logged more than 400hrs and no issues to speak of.. Having done some additional modifications like you, I have pushed the Max 28 far beyond what a tractor should do. I am sure you have as well. I never use the locking differential as it was sticky 10 years ago and seemed hard to engage. When in a "sticky situation" and typically "High Centered" I use the brakes to create the mechanical advantage that cannot be done easily on a hydro-static drive. I am fond of the shuttle with direct drive and have had zero issue with the power not only through the PTO but pulling logs out of the woods. Having such a strong loader both in lift and breakout force steering can be difficult from the amount of weight that I have placed in front. I will be checking the drain plug that you have mentioned for metal particles....
I have about 700 hours on mine, Not much use in the winter. A small strong tractor is very handy. My L39 Fights well above it size also, having the bucket load lift of a utility tractor and I have the old Komatsu Excavator.