Rear Ballast for Loader Work

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #21  
I got these Elevator Test weights from a friend in that business, they work great and are easy to drop on to the drawbar

Attachments

• 4237A09D-CEBA-46B4-A3FE-092205DCBA7B.jpeg
    4237A09D-CEBA-46B4-A3FE-092205DCBA7B.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 93
   / Rear Ballast for Loader Work #22  
Here's a pic of a similar setup except using concrete disks instead of barbell weights:
Is that really separate disks? It looks more like a length of corrugated culvert tubing filled with concrete (which could be excellent).

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #23  
Is that really separate disks? It looks more like a length of corrugated culvert tubing filled with concrete (which could be excellent).
Since I didn't take the pic, I'm not sure.

I suppose a piece of corrugated pipe could be used as a concrete form. It would have to be split beforehand or cut off somehow afterward but why bother? Unless you want to reuse it, just leave it in place.

Here's a youtube on how to make them:

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #24  
I agree it is a corrugated plastic culvert pipe. I think a piece that small might even be free if you go ask as it would probably be an off-cut or could come off a larger damaged/crushed piece. Definitely wouldnt be paying full price on those things to use it as a form..

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #25  
In one of the other ballast threads it discusses using a section of corrugated plastic culvert and filling with concrete as picture above shows....

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #26  
Some implements aren’t to bad, for example a tiller, it sits fairly close to the machine. A couple things wrong with an implement as ballast, it might not be heavy enough. It also might stick out back a long ways, like a brush hog, and get in the way in tight areas. Also you stand a chance of damaging an implement. Something like a box blade or rear blade, probably not an issue. Something like a brush mower or tiller is back there bouncing around and if you back into something you might damage it.

A heavy hitch is probably the best, it sits closer to the tractor but it also expensive to buy the weights for one.
I use a QH. Carry my LP heavy BB most of the time.

I also built a 3pt weight rack to store my suitcase weights. It's heavier than my BB and more compact. But no versatility.

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #27  
I use a QH. Carry my LP heavy BB most of the time.

I also built a 3pt weight rack to store my suitcase weights. It's heavier than my BB and more compact. But no versatility.
Heck, I don't even have and 'Suitcase' weights. Guess I could put the fat gal next door on the back end for weight however....lol

/ Rear Ballast for Loader Work #29  
I chose to put my effort and funds into a heavy implement. At least I can use it for other purposes. I'm not sure of the value of a ballast box that only serves one purpose.
Mine serves more than 1 purpose:
Ballast
vertical PVC Tubes to hold tools.
I bolted a trailer hitch to the underside before filling it
It also has extra Cat 1 hitch posts bilaterally in case I ever need them

To fill it, I stacked up old brake discs and then inserted several different diameters of PVC pipe/tubes down through them, and poured high strength concrete around them to fill the box within 2 [or was it 3] inches of the top edge, which also left a reasonably secure storage area for my chains and hardware.

I also inserted 4 J-bolts vertically in the corners, [threaded ends protruding about 4-5 inches above the edges of the box] in case I ever want to add a platform over it, or to cover it.

BTW, although our little B2320's FEL doesn't lift much in the overall scope of things, it was always very able to lift enough to make the rear wheels very light, even after we filled them with RimGuard, but since adding the ballast box, it has never felt even slightly light in back.

Oh, and the [empty] ballast box was "free" as part of the negotiations made when we purchased the tractor, mid-mount mower [which I now regret], and FEL [which does not have a quick attach, which is another thing I regret].

Last edited:
   / Rear Ballast for Loader Work #30  
From another thread on ballast. Very handy to use if placed on a raised platform when disconnected. The quick hitch hooks won't go low enough to pick it up if it is on the ground.

Bruce