Chains rear chains for my BX2360

/ rear chains for my BX2360 #1  

mccash40

Silver Member
Tractor
kubotabx2360
I have a couple of questions regarding chains. Tirechain.com sells the tighteners per pair. Do I need to buy 2 pair, 1 pair for each wheel? Also, the front tire chains are more expensive than the rear and are much smaller. They advertise heavy duty, vs medium duty, but they are definitely shorter.
Do I really need front chains since my drive is rather flat and I don't plan to do much heavy work with it? Thanks
I

/ rear chains for my BX2360 #2  
I have a couple of questions regarding chains. Tirechain.com sells the tighteners per pair. Do I need to buy 2 pair, 1 pair for each wheel? Also, the front tire chains are more expensive than the rear and are much smaller. They advertise heavy duty, vs medium duty, but they are definitely shorter.
Do I really need front chains since my drive is rather flat and I don't plan to do much heavy work with it? Thanks
I

With slippery ice, a light weight tractor will still do better with chains.
My favorite type of chain are the lightweight and unaggressive ones that are used on front tires only. I rarely chain the back, but when I do, it is again with lightweight chain - a step or two more aggressive than the fronts. I make my own cut down from small automotive chains. The European FWD chains are excellent. That allows me to make them to fit the tires exactly. If a set of chains doesn't fit well, then good elastic sidewall tighteners will make them work.
good luck,

Last edited:
   / rear chains for my BX2360 #3  
I used tirechain.com; they are good people. You will only need one tenioner per tire. They will advise you of this. If you plan to run chains all winter, then just buy em for the rear tires. If you only need em to get out out a jam, the fronts are the way to go. Simply raise the front tires with the bucket, then put the chains on. Some say you can snap an axle with chains. As your rear axle has more meat, that's the one I would chain. Show you my chains in use.
I forgot to say: "In the land of snow, the man with chains is king!"

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 Stacking Snow.jpg
    Kubota B3030 Stacking Snow.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Kubota BX25 Meets Rube Goldberg.jpg
    Kubota BX25 Meets Rube Goldberg.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
   / rear chains for my BX2360 #4  
We've always used those rubber straps with the 'S' hooks to keep the chains tight. They're ugly and crude looking but very effective.

mccash40 if you're new to chains get yourself some extra monkey links and a few rubber straps for immediate field extractions. A broken loose chain can rip out electrical wires and should be mended asap...not when you get back to the barn.

Older chains needs more repairs but they're indispensable for getting around wet soggy ground efficiently so worth the extra maintenance time.

/ rear chains for my BX2360
Thank you both for the information. I do live in the land of snow and ice, (the Adirondacks) except for last winter. I think I'll just get chains for the rear tires for now. I definitely will get some extras for them as I plan to add a 3PH snowblower in the near future.

/ rear chains for my BX2360 #7  
[QUOTE I definitely will get some extras for them as I plan to add a 3PH snowblower in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend the rear blowers: more heavy duty and cheaper than front-mounted and you get to keep your bucket for stacking snow and moving firewood. I went with a rear blower after the big snows of the previous winter.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 w Snowblower Running.jpg
    Kubota B3030 w Snowblower Running.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 733
   / rear chains for my BX2360 #8  
Check out tractiontirechains.com - better prices.

/ rear chains for my BX2360 #9  
I have live in SW IA and have BX24. I wanted to buy chains when I bought it in 2004 but my dealer discouraged it. He said I wouldn't need them because of the 4 wheel drive, but would get them right away if I changed my mind after trying it out. He was right. I only got hung up once without and I don't think chains would have mattered. I am plowing a concrete drive that is slightly up hill, a graveled area that is slightly uphill, a level gravel area and a hard surface road that is slightly uphill (if I can beat the county plows, I do like to play).

So my take is you might want to hold off on chains and see if you really need them.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ rear chains for my BX2360 #10  
Hi all,

I have a bx2360 and plow my 400' gravel driveway with a rear blade. My driveway has a slight slope for most, and the last 100' is steeper 10% or so. I have turf tires on.

I bought chains and use them in the winter. Ive never really tried without the but my guess is that they make a difference - the bx is a light tractor and you can use whatever edge you can get.

The chains fit on fine without and modification or spacers.

I don't use chains on the front.

Chris