Rear Counter Weight

/ Rear Counter Weight #21  
The OP was asking about counterweight on the rear for loads in the loader bucket. Your drawing shows the fulcrum on the rear axle. I was nicely trying to tell you your fulcrum is on the wrong axle for this discussion.

I do know a thing about weight and balance. It was required in my work as an aircraft mechanic of 42 years.
Brandi
Brandi, Bobs drawing has two scenarios. The top drawing shows counterweight and rear tire as the fulcrum. The bottom drawing shows no counterweight but loaded tires and the front tires as the fulcrum. I know you understand the principle but Bobs point in the drawing was loaded tires and wheel weights does nothing for shifting the weight and counterweight behind the rear wheels is necessary. However, it would take a lot of counterweight to move the fulcrum from the front wheels to the rear wheels no doubt.

/ Rear Counter Weight #22  
If you all ever played on one of these, the whole scenario isn't hard to figure out.

fotolia_710291_XS.jpg

/ Rear Counter Weight #23  
When I made my counter weight, I put together a spreadsheet to add to the fun. It doesn't matter where the fulcrum is, either front axle or rear. The results would come out the same. But using the front axle eliminated the front axle weight as an unknown. I figured two ways - maintaining 25% on the rear axle at max loader capacity to find counter weight, and using 2/3 of loader capacity to find counter weight. Both converged at about 1150lb for a counter weight.
ballast determination 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Rear Counter Weight #24  
When I made my counter weight, I put together a spreadsheet to add to the fun. It doesn't matter where the fulcrum is, either front axle or rear. The results would come out the same. But using the front axle eliminated the front axle weight as an unknown. I figured two ways - maintaining 25% on the rear axle at max loader capacity to find counter weight, and using 2/3 of loader capacity to find counter weight. Both converged at about 1150lb for a counter weight.

View attachment 787586

Just wow! That's beyond my interest or ability to create, and certainly impressive.

/ Rear Counter Weight #25  
   / Rear Counter Weight #26  
If I need a 'counter weight on the back end, I just hang my Landpride 84" shredder on the 3 point. It weighs about 1800 pounds. Plenty of rear weight.

/ Rear Counter Weight #27  
If I need a 'counter weight on the back end, I just hang my Landpride 84" shredder on the 3 point. It weighs about 1800 pounds. Plenty of rear weight.

It can't be that simple. Where's your mechanical schematic and flow chart? :ROFLMAO:

/ Rear Counter Weight #28  
Brandi, Bobs drawing has two scenarios. The top drawing shows counterweight and rear tire as the fulcrum. The bottom drawing shows no counterweight but loaded tires and the front tires as the fulcrum. I know you understand the principle but Bobs point in the drawing was loaded tires and wheel weights does nothing for shifting the weight and counterweight behind the rear wheels is necessary. However, it would take a lot of counterweight to move the fulcrum from the front wheels to the rear wheels no doubt.
I can only see one drawing with the fulcrum on the rear tires.
Thanks for explaining there are two drawings!
Bottom line the further from the fulcrum, the less weight it needed. It is all about CG, center of gravity.
Couple of times in the past, when picking up complete trees, I felt my butt getting lite. I didn't add any more weight, I just extended the backhoe all the way out.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Rear Counter Weight #30  
I can only see one drawing with the fulcrum on the rear tires.
Thanks for explaining there are two drawings!
Bottom line the further from the fulcrum, the less weight it needed. It is all about CG, center of gravity.
Couple of times in the past, when picking up complete trees, I felt my butt getting lite. I didn't add any more weight, I just extended the backhoe all the way out.
hugs, Brandi

If you click on the drawing it opens... you will see the top and the bottom scenarios.