Receiver style trailer winch mount

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #11  
I have a Warn 12,000 winch on the front of one of my trucks.

I also have a receiver tube on the front. I just unhook the trailer, turn the pu around, hook it to the front and use the winch on the front of my pu.

That way it easily works on all of my trailers, it's much easier to get the trailer in place for all of the winching and the rest of the time, it easily gets the truck out, or someone else out, if stuck.

SR

Same thing with my Jeep. 10,000 winch and receiver under front bumper, use combination for recovery of dead off road vehicles onto trailer... But actually tow trailer with bigger truck... Yes the is mickey-motion disconnecting and reconnecting vehicles, but it all part of the recovery process.... And sometimes it easier to push trailer into where broken down vehicle is....

Dale

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount
Permanently mounted winches do have some advantages. For myself I wanted a self contained portable winch that could be moved from vehicle to vehicle without any extra wiring needed. If needed I can even haul mine out in the woods on the ATV, tie it off to a tree for winching something I can't get the pickup or trailer too.

At times I have just chained the winch to the front of a trailer that didn't have a receiver on it. The following picture shows a pickup I had to recover a few weeks ago, before the trailer was setup with a receiver. I just chained the winch to the front of the deck, winched the pickup as far forward as I could but the load didn't balance out so I moved the winch up on the tongue and pulled the pickup the rest of the way forward.
IMG_0261.JPG

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #13  
Friend of mine used to wheel an early 70s Blazer. Receiver front/back. Had them both wired with a connector like you have. Connectors were mounted inside the receivers and winch hitch stem. When he pinned the winch, he also made the electrical connection. Very cool idea. Limited the winch to that particular vehicle though.

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #14  
i'm going to install a couple hitch mounts on my workbenches so i can put different vises and grinders that are on a plate with tubing to swap them out, and am probably going to use a vise or grinder if there is power for the hitch on my Pilot, but hadn't thought of putting hitch mounts on my trailer.

how does it work with a heavy load on that winch?

/ Receiver style trailer winch mount #15  
IT's all about if winch is rated for load you are trying to pull aboard.... And Battery and/or electrical hookups (Anderson connectors) ... The receiver mount is very viable system...They make complete winch mounts for receiver "hitches"....

Dale

Last edited:
   / Receiver style trailer winch mount #16  
I need to do something like this to get my tow able chipper up onto my trailer for transport.

Nice job