Receiving Shipments

/ Receiving Shipments
I live out in the sticks and getting an 18 wheeler in would be a trick. I called a local terminal and the guy said they had a loading dock but no way to move the item other than a pallet jack. So if my pickup would match up to the doc then I would have to find a way to get the item "Tiller" into the truck. Do terminal charge for letting a trucking company come in and drop something off and then let you use there forklift to load it on your truck? Is that normal? BTW Red Dog I am out in the Zanesville area.. not far from you.

/ Receiving Shipments #13  
We service the Zanesville area. A couple of years ago I ran the South Zanesville area down to Malta.

We have forklifts and a ramp to get the forklifts outside. We would load it on to your pickup with the forklift.

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ Receiving Shipments #14  
My last large shipment was to come to my work address. The shipper called to confirm I'd have a way to offload it. At that time I offered to pick it up there (at their terminal) and did so. I was going to have to go out to my property, pick up my trailer and come back here to get it back to my property anyhow. It turned out that the truck terminal was within two miles of my property and much more convenient for me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Receiving Shipments #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( a local terminal and the guy said they had a loading dock but no way to move the item other than a pallet jack )</font>

I'm surprised by that. Of course I haven't dealt with a lot of different trucking companies, but I've sure picked up a lot of heavy (800#-1100#) items at two different Central Freight Lines terminals both with just my pickup and with my pickup and little trailer and they always had an LPG powered forklift that would bring the items down into the parking lot and put them in the trailer for me. But if they delivered to the house, then I had to provide a way to unload the items myself.

/ Receiving Shipments #16  
Our driver delivered these this week. There were a total of 5 packs of some 400 vineyard posts on his truck. We were his third vineyard delivery that day and he hauled them all the way from WA to PA and VA ! This driver, after a long day, helped me off load the packs using chains and my B2910. Each of these packs weigh 2500 lbs.

Of course I spent all day yesterday bringing these up to the vineyard via a pretty long route ! About 18 trips total. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 246816-HPIM0171.JPG
    246816-HPIM0171.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 185
   / Receiving Shipments #17  
Here's another pic. By the way, I forgot to add that the freight charge from WA to PA, including delivery was FREE !

Attachments

• 246817-HPIM0170.JPG
    246817-HPIM0170.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 185
   / Receiving Shipments #18  
I'm very curious why one would need to ship vineyard posts (same thing as fence posts? AKA "Peeler cores") all the way across the country! Surely they make those things here on the East coast somewhere!?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Receiving Shipments #19  
Simple reasoning, $$$, and $.

Lowest price we found on east coast was 11.75 plus delivery per 6" end post. We paid 9.75 including free shipping.

Here they are in the ground.

Attachments

• 248312-smallrow.JPG
    248312-smallrow.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 141
   / Receiving Shipments #20  
Where did you buy those posts from? Are they treated? My vineyard is going up in a couple years.