Recent projects with new trailer

/ Recent projects with new trailer #21  
I have a 6' X 12' 10K dump trailer that I use to haul topsoil, mulch, coal etc. I would like to use it to haul my tractors as well. The trailer is equipped with retractable under-slung ramps for easy loading but there are no tie down points for chains. The sides of the trailer box aren't strong enough to hold straps & chains without bending.

I've seen others simply drill through the bed into the channel iron frame and install eye bolts. The problem with this method is the bolts cause material to hang up in the trailer during dumping. Flush mount D rings would work but I see no way to install them in the bed of a dump trailer without major modifications.

I know of one person who just blocks the tractor tires against the sides of the dump box to keep it from moving side to side or front to back. He uses no tie downs at all which may work but certainly isn't legal.

I'm curious how others here chain their tractors down in a dump trailer.

/ Recent projects with new trailer #22  
I have a 6' X 12' 10K dump trailer that I use to haul topsoil, mulch, coal etc. I would like to use it to haul my tractors as well. The trailer is equipped with retractable under-slung ramps for easy loading but there are no tie down points for chains. The sides of the trailer box aren't strong enough to hold straps & chains without bending.

I've seen others simply drill through the bed into the channel iron frame and install eye bolts. The problem with this method is the bolts cause material to hang up in the trailer during dumping. Flush mount D rings would work but I see no way to install them in the bed of a dump trailer without major modifications.

When I ordered my dump trailer, I specified nine D-rings on the walls, six inches from the floor. My floor and side walls are 7 gauge steel. I also ordered one D-ring, in the very front. The front wall is only 10-gauge, but just below the front D-ring is where the floor has a 4” overlap. The front also has extra structural reinforcement through a tarp mount and the fact it’s a shorter run. The front doesn’t get used for a lot of heavy lifting, but the corners do.

Here is what it looked like, new:

09E6862F-32A4-4ADE-A2CE-3BCB78AF721B.jpeg

And with a JD35D:
9F5620CC-FA6B-4121-98B8-9D2363738F7F.jpeg

FD1AA09C-2818-42F9-933B-42368CDBB37B.jpeg

You can see, for the mini-ex, I use six of the nine D-Rings.

If your walls aren’t very thick, you can put the D-rings on a backing/reinforcement plate, then weld the plate to the trailer sides. The bigger the plate, the more the pressure us dispersed.

/ Recent projects with new trailer #23  
When I ordered my dump trailer, I specified nine D-rings on the walls, six inches from the floor. My floor and side walls are 7 gauge steel. I also ordered one D-ring, in the very front. The front wall is only 10-gauge, but just below the front D-ring is where the floor has a 4” overlap. The front also has extra structural reinforcement through a tarp mount and the fact it’s a shorter run. The front doesn’t get used for a lot of heavy lifting, but the corners do.

Here is what it looked like, new:

View attachment 718037

And with a JD35D:
View attachment 718038
View attachment 718039

You can see, for the mini-ex, I use six of the nine D-Rings.

If your walls aren’t very thick, you can put the D-rings on a backing/reinforcement plate, then weld the plate to the trailer sides. The bigger the plate, the more the pressure us dispersed.

The trailer I have is a Bri Mar. I bought it new 21 years ago and at the time, there were no tie down options available.

Thanks for the pictures. Those D ring locations are a possibility but your trailer looks to be heavier duty than mine. They would need considerable reinforcement. Maybe something could be fabricated at the stake pocket gussets.

/ Recent projects with new trailer #24  
Thanks for the pictures. Those D ring locations are a possibility but your trailer looks to be heavier duty than mine. They would need considerable reinforcement. Maybe something could be fabricated at the stake pocket gussets.

My trailer is definitely heavy duty. Empty, it’s around 5,000 pounds. The box I have is the same one they use in their 24lk trailers (different axles, lifting mechanism, and couplers).

If you need it done, anything is possible. All it takes is some know-how and money.

If you do fab something up, I’m sure I’m not the only one who is interested in a dedicated thread, on your project.

/ Recent projects with new trailer

I know of one person who just blocks the tractor tires against the sides of the dump box to keep it from moving side to side or front to back. He uses no tie downs at all which may work but certainly isn't legal.

I'm curious how others here chain their tractors down in a dump trailer.
I have seen flush mount chain lately that might work well for you. Not sure what to call it, mounts flush to the floor, you can pull it up and you have a short length of chain to work with that is secured to the trailer. Not sure what load ratings they come in.

This is why I routed out my deck for my d rings. Sooner or later I'll be scraping the deck with my bucket to get material out. Even the "flush mount D rings" you can buy have a bit of material that is above the surface that the bucket might catch on.

The trailer I have is a Bri Mar. I bought it new 21 years ago and at the time, there were no tie down options available.

Where are your stake pockets? They make lashing winches that go into a standard stake pocket, and they make lashing winches that bolt on with a set screw to a lip on the side of the trailer. I'm going to try using one as a makeshift winch to pull vehicles on the trailer. Still have to get a fairlead for the strap to go through.

IMG_20211023_140329610.jpg

/ Recent projects with new trailer #27  
I have seen flush mount chain lately that might work well for you. Not sure what to call it, mounts flush to the floor, you can pull it up and you have a short length of chain to work with that is secured to the trailer. Not sure what load ratings they come in.

These?:

6B33F556-2895-469E-BF48-F75C76683A3A.jpeg

These?:

View attachment 718047

Yessir, those are the ones!

I'd probably bolt some healthy d rings in the corners where it will have a minimal impact on dumping material, with a backing plate if necessary, and let it ride. At least for now until I came up with a better idea. I'm all for getting the most out of what I have!

/ Recent projects with new trailer #29  

I also have a Brimar 6x12, 10k. I have 4 D rings welded to the floor from the factory. At times stuff will hang up, but it’s usually not a huge inconvenience.