recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter?

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Looking for recommendations for an entry level occasional use, budget oriented plasma cutter.

Seems entry level non-pilot. Is that an issue for a beginner?

Lotos LT5000D looks interesting...

I have 220V available, and 60gal 5hp compressor.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #2  
Look at Everlast. I have the Everlast PowerPlasma 80 bought back in 2014. Probably some newer features since then. Good equipment for a very fair price.
They have a sponsor on here "Mark," good guy PM him or call and he can often get a better price than the published web price. (look at the "Everlast thread." Amazon used to have screaming deals on Everlast once in a while but have not seen any for a couple of years.

The Hypertherm Powermax series is well thought of and the cost is a good bit more. Depends upon what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #3  
I strongly suggest you get a pilot arc unit. On Amazon, for $83 more you can buy Lotos LTP5000D, same as the one you posted except with pilot arc. It is a must have for cutting things like expanded steel. I splurged and bought a Hypertherm 45XP but went overboard for sure. I am just at the point now where I buy quality and want it to last the rest of my life at least. I can't speak to the quality of Lotus but seems to be getting good ratings...

Lotos LTP5D 5Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter, Dual Voltage 11V/22V, 1/2 Inch Clean Cut: Power Plasma Cutters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #4  
I found this on another forum... written by Jim Colt of Hypertherm. I have met Jim and he is extremely knowledgeable on all things plasma!

A plasma torch with a pilot arc will fire a low power plasma arc in the air....this is a DC arc that goes from the torch electrode to the torch nozzle...and the force of the air blows the arc out through the nozzle (tip) orifice. The function? The pilot arc is designed to improve the ability of the plasma arc to transfer to the materials that needs to be cut......as the pilot arc approaches the plate, it burns through any surface issues (paint, rust, masking materials) and quickly transfers the arc....which electronically senses that current is now flowing through the work ground cable...and amperage ramps up (you will see the arc get more intense.

Older technology plasmas, and todays industrial mechanized plasma systems....use a pilot arc that is started with a high voltage, high frequency discharge between the nozzle and electrode to get the cutting air ionized. Newer technology air plasma systems use a "blowback start" ( a moving, spring loaded electrode in the torch) to ionize air, and are able to start a pilot arc without the use of high frequency.

Non Pilot arc torches have to allow electrical contact with the plate to be cut....by physically touching the plate (like scratch starting a TIG). These plasma torches use a high voltage, high frequency discharge that arcs between the torch nozzle (tip) and the plate that ionizes the air in this area, and gets the main arc transferred to the plate.

Pros and Cons?

Blowback style (non high frequency start) torches will transfer an arc to the plate from a fair distance (my Hypertherm Powermax45 will transfer from 1/4" away from the plate). This long transfer distance allows for best plate piercing capability in a mechanized application...by allowing the torch to stay back at a good pierce height which allows the pierce spatter from hitting the torch nozzle orifice....which cause nozzle wear and poor cut quality. The pilot arc also allows for rapid starts on rusty, scaly, or painted materials. Firing the pilot arc in the air will cause nozzle orifice erosion....and should not be done often. I once vivited a user of Hypertherm hand held torches that was doing some cutting inside large storage tanks....it was dark in there and he was using the torch pilot arc as a flashlight. His complaint...short consumable life......we solved his problem by buying him a flashlight.

Non pilot arc torches work well on clean metals, although having to touch start a torch is extremely tough on the torch nozzle (tip), as the arc starts with the nozzle in contact with the plate...and molten metal has no where to go except right back on the nozzle orifice. Once the orifice is no longer perfectly round...cut speeds slow down and cut edge angularity gets worse. Generally....a non pilot torch will not work on a cnc machine...as it is difficult to get the torch to scratch the surface to get the arc started....and, many cnc machines will be adversely affected by the high frequency required to start the torch. It is less expensive to manufacture a non pilot arc plasma system.....and that is the primary reason they are available.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #5  
I have owned a couple of Hypertherm cutters and recently bought a new one for my CNC table. But for simple cutting I bought one of the Lotos 5000 models with the pilot arc off off amazon (I use it to cut up scraps and skeletons from the cnc cuttings). I was hesitant about the Lotos purchase but was surprised that it actually worked fine. Anyway the Lotos is cheap, has really cheap consumables and cuts! In addition it's very small and you can use it with 110v or 220v. If you just need a basic cutter for cheap, the Lotos for their price can't be beat. If you want a "good" plasma cutter or have any thought of a cnc table... go with a new or used Hypertherm.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #7  
I have owned a couple of Hypertherm cutters and recently bought a new one for my CNC table. But for simple cutting I bought one of the Lotos 5000 models with the pilot arc off off amazon (I use it to cut up scraps and skeletons from the cnc cuttings). I was hesitant about the Lotos purchase but was surprised that it actually worked fine. Anyway the Lotos is cheap, has really cheap consumables and cuts! In addition it's very small and you can use it with 110v or 220v. If you just need a basic cutter for cheap, the Lotos for their price can't be beat. If you want a "good" plasma cutter or have any thought of a cnc table... go with a new or used Hypertherm.

me to lotos that is- Hypertherm -in my dreams:laughing:

I have the lotos LTPDC2000d and it is is still working well.

The long term reliability is probably less with it being a 3 in 1 Tig/arc/ Plasma but mine already has about 2 years use.

Amazon has them on sale right now to for $458.99

Amazon.com: ltpdc2d

and the unit comes with all the tig accessories except a foot peddle.

It DC Tigs as well as my Lincoln Tig 300 300 up to it's rating.
Seems to have all of it's 200 amp stick rating as well.

The Pilot arc plasma has been used a fair amount over the time I have had it, and other than cleaning some contact points (mainly plasma torch) been satisfied with it.

Some people have gotten bad units though , if the OP is interested in buying one I would recommend working the heck out of it during the first 30 days, before the Amazon prime satisfaction guaranty is up.

They are a great bargain if you get a good one , not so much if you don't.

The Everlast units have a better warranty for sure- and customer service after the sale.

I agree on getting a pilot arc unit, Very nice if getting into paint or a bit of rust and it does help the inexpensive (SG55-AG 60) consumables last longer

Last edited:
   / recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #8  
Agree. Pilot Arc. Also It's wise to make sure the machine has IGBT's instead of Mosfet's. Unit life depends on it.

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter? #9  
I have an everlast from mark. Great machine and great support. Hypertherm has a long history and is not over priced for the product. No clue on lotos

/ recommendation for budget oriented entry level Plasma cutter?
Right now, all I have for cutting is a Sawzall and hacksaw. Also have bench grinder and 4.5" side grinder. And an older Miller 130 wirefeed.

Looking at Plasma cutter because I got the Superwinch someone posted about a few weeks ago, and want to get it mounted on my trailer. Have idea's for mounting, but would need to cut and fit metal to build the mount. And, there have been projects in past where it would have been handy.

One of those things like the trailer winch; I only have need once a year or so, but when I do it would really come in handy.