recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ?

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ?
Great comments and thank you to everyone...I would have responded earlier but my email notifications stopped 2 days ago, ??

I am going to do some research and get back to you guys...really appreciate the experiences you have had and why you buy what you did, what has worked and what has not. W products today, nothing is made like it was 2-50 yrs ago. Yes, technology may be better today, but quality and parts availability sure is not. Therefore, I have resigned to the longevity factor and just want to get something that is as hassle free as possible and reliable..

Many thanks again !!

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #22  
You stated you fill many tires. Are any of them needing more than 100 PSI? If so, you may want to consider a two stage compressor. Frustration is when you have a single stage compressor and need to fill a tire to 120 psi.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ?
You stated you fill many tires. Are any of them needing more than 100 PSI? If so, you may want to consider a two stage compressor. Frustration is when you have a single stage compressor and need to fill a tire to 120 psi.
Thanks pete - no, all of my tires max out at 50 or so psi...I have 2 tractors, 2 4 wheel trailers, multiple cars, 4 & 6 wheelers, riding lawn mowers, etc. It's a good thing chainsaws don't have tires, but I use my compressor often to clean/blow them free of oily-caked debris. I have few air-impact tools and a nail-gun and few more similar. All my work is at the ranch outside and noise is not a consideration.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #24  
I like California Air. Super quiet and a good value.

22B5954C-8C52-43EB-866A-64049C4EA2E2.jpeg

Mike

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #25  
Hello to all and Merry CHRISTmas,

My 15 gal and prob 20 yr old porter cable compressor is almost ready for the graveyard. Can you pls tell me what pancake compressor [one's they sell today] are the most reliable and versatile? I have a PC framing nail-gun that I use from time to time, do not have a paint spray gun...It's primary use will be for filling tires on tractors, trailers, 4 wheelers, hosing down dirty engines and things, etc. and filling a portable air tank. My usage frequencies varies but it seems like I am filing one or two of 20-30 diff sets of tires, so it's never idle for long periods. I mostly fill a portable air tank to go to the tire source(s).

I received an HD gift certificate so just in time.

Thank you in advance and pls let me know if you have any questions.
keep in mind that all oil less compressors are not continuous duty. if you want a compressor that will run and be used for long periods of time I would get a non-oil less pump

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #26  
If you already have cordless tools, then checking to see if the manufacturer also has a cordless tire inflator (or compressor) could be an option worth looking into .... or if you're having to frequently fill tires a cordless tire inflator might be worth looking into anyway.

While I have a compressor and a portable air tank, after I picked up a Milwaukee M12 tire inflator I find myself going for that more than the portable air tank as it's much smaller & lighter than the air tank. Also have a lot more air with a single battery than is in a single fill of the air tank, so it's also lead to less "that tire isn't that low"

The same could likely be said of any of the other major cordless brand's tire inflators at this point as well (though I would probably consider the Milwaukee M18 or Makita XGT tire inflators for large volume or higher pressure tires -- though I'm already using other tools in those lines too).

May not be the cheapest option, nor a single solution for all your needs, but it's something to consider (especially if you're frequently having to fill/top-off tires).

Otherwise the cordless compressors may also be worth a look if you need more air in a portable form factor - probably wouldn't be enough for long periods of run time with most air tools, but they're marketed/intended for running pneumatic nailers/staplers.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #27  
   / recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #28  
Personally I do not like oil less compressors. Noisy, slow and short duty cycle. although easy to replace the pump parts. Oil compressors are quieter, longer duty cycle and have a longer life.
I worked for a shop that repaired small engines including air compressors. Most air compressors were brought in for won't shut off. Yes they were oil less and some had been used commercially. Of course most needed the piston, cylinder, and valve plate replaced, and a few motors. The oil compressors usually were locked from lack of oil or a bad pressure switch. Just my 1 1/2 cents. (not adjusted for inflation)

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #29  
" hosing down dirty engines and things,"

No idea what the CFM Required for that task might be, but for filling / toping off tires I use a Porter Cable Pancake Compressor that has to be pushing 40 years of (less frequent use than your tire demands)! Also have a similarly ancient Craftsman vertical tank thing and a cheap ($39?) HFT smaller pancake and a little LOWES Hot Dog (wheels!) I got for $99 or so a couple years back 'cause the Porter Cable, small as it is, was a pain to shift about the various places I was needing it.

I have an assortment of nail guns from teensy pin nailers to 3.5" Full Head Framing nailers, a 3/8" ratchet wrench, a pneumatic filer and a nibbler and a couple of automotive spray guns.

The smaller compressors work fine for the tires (one Tractor, one trailer, one car, one sm PU an ATV and a couple of utility wagons). I bought an air tank several years back and do not use it - which likely tells you something about the demands of the tires I'm responsible for.

I'd buy another PC Pancake again and same for that Craftsman and, though I've not had it a decade, I like the little LOWES Hot Dog. Even though the HFT's hanging in there, I wouldn't want it to be the only compressor I owned.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #30  
I'm in agreement with Bentrim (above). Biggest problem with oil-less is they don't seem to be designed to last very long or survive much more than casual, occasional use. I've had several on which the reed valve was broken or cracked so they wouldn't make or hold pressure, and there are no parts available, so the only thing left is the scrap heap.

Another problem on ALL compressors is that nobody (except us, of course) ever drains the water out of the tanks and they rust. You do not want to have a tank burst because of rust perforation - that's a *lot* more excitement than we bargained for.

So here's my spec list for the "ideal" compressor (YMMV). 1 - The compressor body should be cast iron and HAVE oil, that way it will last a long time. 2 - Aluminum tank - no corrosion and lighter so I can move it around fairly easily. 3) Minimum 25 gallons, better 40 gallons, I want the capacity. 4 - Vertical tank to save floor space. 5 - motor and compressor are separate units so can be replaced individually. 6 - 1,750 RPM - QUIET please. 7 - 110v so I can move it around in my hangar and not have miles of hose strung everywhere. 220 volts will be OK once an air distribution system is in so I won't have to move the compressor any more. Then it gets a small, removable enclosure with sound deadening material.

This will feed an air distribution system along one wall of my workshop. I was going to use black pipe, but I was in a big-bucks-cost-no-object boat manufacturer, and they used the aluminum (blue pipe) system that Summit, eBay, Amazon and others sell for about $300 or so. They're a billion dollar business (not an exaggeration) and if that system works for them, I strongly suspect it will work for me. (When I make my first billion, I'll have my compressor gold plated.)

Until I set that up, I'm using a 20 gallon Craftsman "has-oil" compressor connected to its 110v motor with a v-belt. I've owned it over 40 years, it just keeps soldiering along, with proper maintenance of course. I am starting to get a bit nervous about tank corrosion, so I stop it at 80psi which is adequate for everything I do.

That takes care of air-intensive jobs, working on cars, air drills, paint work (maybe, I have an HVLP system that doesn't use compressed air).

I also have a small, portable compressor that gets used to fill tires and on small jobs outside of the workshop.

Best regards and have a happy and safe new year!

Mike/Florida