Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #71  
Bought a new MF1739E April 2020 when we purchased our retirement property in central Mo. The size has been very good for our needs of 53 acres, 40+ timbered. The FEL loader is always used. I currently have a box blade that remains on it for counter weight. We are always taking trees away from near the home so the 1600lb FEL capacity is good. Never used the pto so can't comment. Now that said l do want to purchase implements to use but not with this tractor. It'll be traded in or sold for a larger, either MF 4707 or Cat skid steer. I'm looking at getting a mill and need a machine with lifting weight for long logs. As mentioned here about sizing for your job. You could go smaller tractor and get a zero turn. l did this. Purchased a 61" Scag for 5k also April 2020. You need to figure time it'll take you to accomplish tasks with your purchase choices. Tractor & rotary cutter. Tractor and zero turn, ect. Best of luck on your decision. Now to start looking myself...

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #72  
Thanks for the replies. And sorry for the confusion, but I’ll be getting the loader for either. It looks like the B2301 FEL has about 200 pounds of lifting capacity over the BX2380 (948 vs. 739).

The attachments I’d be looking to buy at the jump are the loader, belly mower, box blade, and maybe a brush hog or flail mower.

Is a loader easier to use than a box blade for creating a slope away from a foundation?
Don't know if it was noted elsewhere in this discussion, but are you not going with a backhoe model? Plusses/minuses, like everything else, but if the BH is out, a "plus" is that it leaves more room within your budget for the brush hog, flail, etc. For example I think the Kubota BH models are around 25k these days (someone will correct me if that's inaccurate).

Also....congrats on your new property - sounds terrific!

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #73  
On paper, I’m really intrigued by the Yanmar SA424 & SA324, New Holland Workmaster 25S, and the Kubota B2601HSD.

There are two good Kubota dealers near me, but the NH/Yanmar dealer is a bit of a hike. I like the Deere, but the 2-series is considerably more expensive for the capabilities compared to the others.
I recently bought a new compact tractor. I looked at the specs and pricing for Kubota, Deere, Yanmar and a few others. I decided on the Yanmar SA424. It really has exceptional lift capacity for the 3pt and the loader for its size (both 1200). I also like the hydrostatic transmission with the dual pedal. I also decided to get the mid-mount mower and sold my 3pt finish mower.

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #74  
There is no way in H I would go with an LS tractor in lieu of other good brands when the LS dealer is 90 miles away.
You got me researching this LS tractor price point six-year power train warranty and right now they’re offering three loader according to the website. Until now I was going back-and-forth between the JD 2025R and a Kioti CS 2025. Tractors are crazy expensive right now!

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #75  
You got me researching this LS tractor price point six-year power train warranty and right now they’re offering three loader according to the website. Until now I was going back-and-forth between the JD 2025R and a Kioti CS 2025. Tractors are crazy expensive right now!

Take a real good look at the MT225S, maybe check them out on TractorHouse and get a feel for them.

20220420_145904.jpg20220420_145931.jpg20220420_145947.jpg

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #76  
I recently bought a new compact tractor. I looked at the specs and pricing for Kubota, Deere, Yanmar and a few others. I decided on the Yanmar SA424. It really has exceptional lift capacity for the 3pt and the loader for its size (both 1200). I also like the hydrostatic transmission with the dual pedal. I also decided to get the mid-mount mower and sold my 3pt finish mower.
Sounds like we are both researching the same thing (25 hp tractor with the midmounded mower and backup capability )you went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Yanmar.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on why you went with the yanmar , your experience with it so far (good and bad)and how much it ultimately paid?

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #77  
Thanks for the replies. And sorry for the confusion, but I’ll be getting the loader for either. It looks like the B2301 FEL has about 200 pounds of lifting capacity over the BX2380 (948 vs. 739).

The attachments I’d be looking to buy at the jump are the loader, belly mower, box blade, and maybe a brush hog or flail mower.

Is a loader easier to use than a box blade for creating a slope away from a foundation?
Id make an offer in the current ZT from the owner if its a decent one in good shape. Use that for cutting grass. Get a tractor for tractoring including brush hogging your overgrown in the spring or late fall. Flail mower is $$ not sure you need it.

for 1 acre overgrown pay a neighbor to brush hog it for you. Then cut with ZT.

Belly mowers are a pita to take off put on until you get used to it. I'd rather pull a rotary cutter and ZT cut everything else but I doubt you'd need a rotary cutter for much work. With a garden I'd get a decent tiller skip the rotary cutter and flail mowers. With more land yeah but 4 acres....

Make friends with your farmer neighbors for that 1 time you need a flail/rotary.

The tractor is significantly heavier than a ZT so in the spring when you first cut the tractor will make ruts and you wont notice until the summer and you're bouncing all over the place cutting grass. Why you see folks rolling grass with a roller in spring. That challenge is real. bumpy ride cutting grass is back breaking work after a few minutes.

Get the biggest tractor you can afford with a FEL. I wouldn't buy a tractor for finish mowing, thats what your ZT is great at.

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #78  
I would look at a Mahindra 3600 series..they come in shuttle or HST drive, 36HP especially if you are looking for a FEL, the HST is optimal for mowing and dirt work...the Mahindra will be cheaper also, born of Internationals and modernized some to be a value branded tractor. I just purchased a 4540 and it seems to be a havy built machine, made to work.
the 3600 series is not available any longer per my dealer.
5100 is heavier and cheaper with better fel lift, but no HST

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #79  
Hello! I’m under contract on a house with about 4.5 acres (1.1 ac wooded) and would like some opinions.

Most of the property is grassland, so mowing would be the most frequent usage. It has a 300’ dirt driveway and the property needs some grading and dirt work near the foundation, so I’d like a box blade. After the initial grading, the box blade usage will be seasonal for driveway maintenance.

The current owner is using a zero turn mower, but about an acre of the property is severely overgrown. I’d prefer a fail mower to a brush hog for maneuverability.

It also has a hobby farm set up that we’ll continue to use, so the loader will be handy.

It’s in Kansas, so some snow, but not in huge quantities… usually.

I was originally looking at the Kubota BX2380 and Deere 1025R. I’m leaning to Kubota, but it looks like I can get a B2301 for only $1000 more.

This will be my first tractor, but I often used my dad’s Deere 4310 when I was in high school on about the same amount of land. He lives in a state with a lot of snow, so it’s mostly used as a plow.

Are there any other contenders I should look at? And is the B01 worth the price jump over the BX?

Thanks!
A great tractor for you would be a Kubota B3200. Newer but no emissions crap to worry about. Decent attachments. Get front mount for snowblower, Mid mount mower, and enough power for your chores. Small enough for the mowing with a 60 inch deck. You can do box blade, tiller and other stuff with the 32hp giving you around 27pto hp.

/ Recommended Tractor for 4.5 acres #80  
There is no way in H I would go with an LS tractor in lieu of other good brands when the LS dealer is 90 miles away.
In some areas of the country that is not too far.

My dealer will pickup and deliver at no charge for any reason within about 125 miles IIRC. It was one reason, of many, why I went with LS but not all LS dealers will do that. The Kutoba dealer was closer (45 miles) and he quoted $300 per round trip. The JD dealer was 25 miles away and quoted $150.

Plus, I saved over $8000. You could be correct for your case but not for someone like me. Not needing to purchase a trailer, and saving $8000 was more important than getting my tractor a day or so sooner if it needed work. But I am a hobby user so a day or two is not critical.

BTW, the one time I had to have it serviced for an oil leak, I called before noon and had it returned midafternoon the next day. Another time I needed a fitting for the third function valve and he took the fitting out of a stock valve and gave it to me at no charge. He is about 55 miles away. I would buy from a dealer like that if he was 125 miles away.

Not all dealers are created equal. For any of you living in northern MI, check out Sumerix. Ask for Ivan, and tell him I sent you....

Don from Johannesburg