reconditioned welder

/ reconditioned welder #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all. I am looking at a hobart 125 ez welder that is "A" reconditioned---I know the A will give me 1-2 years left on a factory welder warrenty, does the A mean anything else? I have had pretty good luck with reconditioned tools and this welder is 125.oo less then new and is perfect for what i want to weld. ~3/16 to max 1/4 mild steel angle iron. I will also spend the 12.00 and get the larger spool attachment.
1. Has anyone else had good luck with an A recondition?
2. How about using the 125 ez weld?
3. What does an A recondition mean?
I learned first by brazing, then moving up to oxy/ac torch welding, then arc welding.
I like this unit because it runs off house hold current and i dont have to rewire my barn.
Once again I know the limits of this machine, steel thickness wise, and I just dont need a bigger machine.
thanks
Forgeblast

/ reconditioned welder #2  
If it were me and the price is right, I wouldn't have any trouble with a reconditioned machine with a warranty. As far as what was done to it, who knows? Whatever was wrong with it is fixed.

That said, if at all possible, you would be much better off with a 180. It is much more versatile. There are many reasons to stick with a small unit though; no 220, only will be welding sheet metal and for sure never anything heavier, etc.

Make SURE you set it up for gas though, flux core takes alot away from the uses for a wire welder.

My $0.02,

/ reconditioned welder
You know after i added the gas kit to the cart, i was about 100.oo from a hobart 140, which has the kit, has the larger spool, and can handle larger metal. Arggg need to see if I can swing that.
Thanks for the input appreciate it.

/ reconditioned welder #4  
I can't help you much with Hobart but I can offer this. My neighbor and I bought the smallest Linclon flux core welder from Costco when they first came out, weldpak 100 I think. We bought it for body work, it worked well. My step brother bought the Lincoln sp125 and although it was only a little more powerful it was by far and away a much more versitile welder. It just was worth twice the money. I think I would try to get the 140 if it was me over the 125ez.

/ reconditioned welder
Thanks, I keep fliping back and forth. I like that it can weld 1/4'' but will i need to weld 1/4'' is the question....then again if i can weld 1/4'' that opens up so many more "projects".....just have to recheck the finances again.