Regarding 4x4...

/ Regarding 4x4... #1  

Fastball

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900
Hi, all. I have a Kubota L2900, which has been used exclusively in 4x4 mode since we got it, as our property is mostly hillside and unfinished. However, I'm taking it to the neighbour's house a few hundred yards away on a paved road to pick up a rotary cutter. Should I disengage the 4x4 and use 2wd, as I've heard I should....or will it be OK to leave it in 4x4 on such a short trip?
Thanks...

/ Regarding 4x4... #2  
I would never leave my tractor in 4X4 on a surface with solid traction such as a paved road with no ice or snow on it. Any mismatch in the drivetrain will cause bind. Typically the front wheels are set to run about 5% faster than the rear wheels and the difference is made up for by slippage. On good traction surfaces that slippage will not occur as easily and may cause microdamage to the drivetrain. While if you did leave it in 4X4 you would probably never know it but who wants to put extra stress on a machine when there is no need for it. You may feel some jumping when you turn though indicating it is binding and getting slippage in bursts rather than continuously and smoothly.

The other thing is that it is good to engage the various mechanisms on a somewhat regular basis jsut to keep them in good working order. For instance i had a friend that had not used his rear differential lock in many years and then used it and could not get it to disengage.

/ Regarding 4x4... #3  
Mine never get out of 4wd unless it is on the paved road. Like Creamer said it will cause damage.

/ Regarding 4x4... #4  
The front wheel drive gearing is not designed for road speeds.

We burned out the front wheel drive on a BX after inadvertently leaving 4-WD engaged over a six mile road move.

/ Regarding 4x4... #5  
I have accidentally left mine in 4x4 while wheeling down the road :mur: Not good but I did not break anything either... Drove 3 miles and did it at least 3 times (that I know of) wish I didn't but it happens. I would take it out of 4x4 but I would not worry if you left it in. :2cents:

/ Regarding 4x4... #6  
I would disengage it for the round trip on pavement. My current place is mostly flat, so I leave mine in 2wd almost all the time. I have one road ditch that is very steep, and have to mow that in 4wd just to get up the slope. Our new place has almost no elevation change at all, so I'll probably only be in 4wd for FEL work or snow removal.

/ Regarding 4x4... #7  
Like everyone else says, 2wd on road.

/ Regarding 4x4... #8  
I never put mine in 4w, unless I need 4wd. I left it in 4 and went on the road one time... Noisy! Draggy feeling... Felt like something was grinding. You'll know it's not good just by the sound.

/ Regarding 4x4...
Well, that's pretty well unanimous, then. Even though it's barely a half-kilometer, I didn't want to take a chance and mess something up. I'll try 2WD, if she'll shift into it, that is. She's never been out of 4x4.

/ Regarding 4x4... #10  
I NEVER put mine in 4WD unless I need 4WD. Yes, take it out of 4WD for ANY road trip. Of course, unless you like hearing cracking,snapping sounds and have a lot of extra money to spend.