Regular maintenance a must

/ Regular maintenance a must #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
Recently someone brought their tractor in with a complaint of a fuel leak. I cannot emphasize enough that REGULAR maintenance must happen. Below is a picture of a fuel filter that had water in the bottom of it. I tapped out the rust after deheading the filter. The rust holes became evident in the filter.

Attachments

• Filter holes.jpg
    Filter holes.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 156
   / Regular maintenance a must #3  
You ever notice as well, the person that doesn't maintain their equipment is the first one to curse and call it a POS when it quits with a plugged fuel filter, bad plugs, dirty oil etc...........Mike

/ Regular maintenance a must #4  
Sounds like my old neighbor. Runs it until it breaks and figures it's under warranty

/ Regular maintenance a must #5  
Good thread......regular maintenance does cost money but it helps you avoid larger costs later. (y)

/ Regular maintenance a must #6  
When myL3010 was still kind of new I brought it back to the dealer to get rear remotes installed. He said, "boy it's nice to see a newish tractor that's been greased. You would be amazed at how much stuff comes in here that has never been touched." So lack of maintenance must be a common thing. It's to bad. People w/o any mechanical knowledge or experience may not be aware of the need.

gg

/ Regular maintenance a must #7  
boy it's nice to see a newish tractor that's been greased. You would be amazed at how much stuff comes in here that has never been touched."
Where I worked before we had a saying as the operators wouldn't grease the machines at all. "A machine here gets greased twice, first and last time" You wouldn't believe the amount of U joints, king pins, spring pins etc that were never greased.............Mike

/ Regular maintenance a must #8  
These days a lot of folks don't have a clue. I do some ATV work on the side. Seen 10+ year old machines that have never had an oil changes or air filters cleaned/replaced. 1 Honda I had to scrape the sludge out of the oil filter housing, just solid. Had a Yamaha 700 that could not run with a 400. Just changed the 10 year old oil and cleaned the air filter, took multiple washing to get the mud out. All of a sudden it would run like new, been 4 years and nothing has been done to keep it up. I gave up and let them complain it's a POS. Same folks don't get why my 20-30 year old machines run circles around theirs.
My stuff is dirty and grease caked but everything gets scheduled maintenance and repaired as needed. I don't baby anything and many would call things I do abuse, but I own them to work not look pretty.