Reliable pull behind mowers?

/ Reliable pull behind mowers? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
I was wondering if anyone here uses a pull behind mower for an ATV / UTV / Side by Side whatever you want to call it.

I have some steep slopes on my property (around a pond, etc.) that I am unable (i.e. unwilling) to risk with my tractors and mowers. I can travel these areas with my Polaris Ranger without any worry or pucker factor. It's not a weekly mowing type of thing but maybe every month or so.

So far I have kept this down with weed whips, etc. Many, many hours doing so.

Unfortunately the only options I have found are from Swisher. The more expensive units ($1,600 - $2,200) appear that they'll work on paper however I don't get a great feeling on build quality, durability etc. I also wonder how the 2 wheeled version would do going along a hillside and if it would want to slide down the hill. I can crabwalk the unit with the Ranger, just trying to think ahead.

Unfortunately the used ones are complete junk in my area and there is no place for me to look at a new one.

Cutting this area every month or two would primarily be heavy grass and stalky weeds. I'm sure there is the occasional tree starting to try and grow but I don't plan on taking out saplings with something like this.

Any recommendations?

I hate to spend a ton of money on a unit, especially if I'm not sure how well it'll work. (Swisher) Has to be durable enough to handle the slopes and bumps along with a pressurized oiling system in the engine to operate at those inclines.

/ Reliable pull behind mowers? #3  
We had one years ago we pulled behind a Honda 300 4x4 ATV. It lasted 3 years. If the land is flat, meaning no ruts or holes, and the grass is not too thick, it should work ok. If you want a nice, clean cut, prepare to go slow, about 2-3mph tops.

/ Reliable pull behind mowers?
We had one years ago we pulled behind a Honda 300 4x4 ATV. It lasted 3 years. If the land is flat, meaning no ruts or holes, and the grass is not too thick, it should work ok. If you want a nice, clean cut, prepare to go slow, about 2-3mph tops.

That's what I was afraid of....

/ Reliable pull behind mowers? #6  
I was wondering if anyone here uses a pull behind mower for an ATV / UTV / Side by Side whatever you want to call it.

I have some steep slopes on my property (around a pond, etc.) that I am unable (i.e. unwilling) to risk with my tractors and mowers. I can travel these areas with my Polaris Ranger without any worry or pucker factor. It's not a weekly mowing type of thing but maybe every month or so.

So far I have kept this down with weed whips, etc. Many, many hours doing so.

Unfortunately the only options I have found are from Swisher. The more expensive units ($1,600 - $2,200) appear that they'll work on paper however I don't get a great feeling on build quality, durability etc. I also wonder how the 2 wheeled version would do going along a hillside and if it would want to slide down the hill. I can crabwalk the unit with the Ranger, just trying to think ahead.

Unfortunately the used ones are complete junk in my area and there is no place for me to look at a new one.

Cutting this area every month or two would primarily be heavy grass and stalky weeds. I'm sure there is the occasional tree starting to try and grow but I don't plan on taking out saplings with something like this.

Any recommendations?

I hate to spend a ton of money on a unit, especially if I'm not sure how well it'll work. (Swisher) Has to be durable enough to handle the slopes and bumps along with a pressurized oiling system in the engine to operate at those inclines.

This is ideal for your described usage. It will cost you approximately $1,800 but has other application usage beside mowing around the pond.

59" Gas Flail Mower, PK-AT145E | Betstco Sales, Parts, and Service:

/ Reliable pull behind mowers? #7  
That's what I was afraid of....

Now I do not know your budget, but check out Ventrac. They have 8 wheeled compact machines that can mow hillsides and also have other attachments.

Now I do not know your budget, but check out Ventrac. They have 8 wheeled compact machines that can mow hillsides and also have other attachments.

Ventrac is made about an hour from me. I just need something for a few "smaller" areas. My other equipment can handle the rest.