Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves

/ Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves #21  
I think that wireless sprinkler valves aren't going to exist. You'd still need to run wires to them for power. They might as well be both power and signal.

I recently replaced my old sprinkler controller with an Orbit controller with a remote. NOT the b-hyve internet connected model! I found an older non internet model with a remote. I know how bad the security is on internet connected stuff and I don't want the company turning off my controller when they decide they need more revenue.

The remote is great when checking individual sprinkler settings. No cell phone needed, it's all older RF tech. It has at least a 200' range and can hit the controller that's on the other side of the house from the lawn.

The cell phone ones don't talk RF directly to the controller. They send IP packets to a server the company runs, and that then talks to the controller via internet. This means that A) the company's controlling what you do and can decide to charge a fee or turn off your system B) it depends on your cell connection and your internet connection and C) the sprinkler controller is on your home network but is accepting packets from the company's servers. Since they probably did a terrible job of securing that connection and the app in the controller, it's got a good chance of getting hacked. If you're lucky it'll just be put in a bot net and used to harass people on the internet. OTOH you can control your sprinklers from anywhere that has cell service. For some people that outweighs all the negatives, some of which they probably don't know about.

/ Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves #22  
I think that wireless sprinkler valves aren't going to exist. You'd still need to run wires to them for power. They might as well be both power and signal.

I recently replaced my old sprinkler controller with an Orbit controller with a remote. NOT the b-hyve internet connected model! I found an older non internet model with a remote. I know how bad the security is on internet connected stuff and I don't want the company turning off my controller when they decide they need more revenue.

The remote is great when checking individual sprinkler settings. No cell phone needed, it's all older RF tech. It has at least a 200' range and can hit the controller that's on the other side of the house from the lawn.

The cell phone ones don't talk RF directly to the controller. They send IP packets to a server the company runs, and that then talks to the controller via internet. This means that A) the company's controlling what you do and can decide to charge a fee or turn off your system B) it depends on your cell connection and your internet connection and C) the sprinkler controller is on your home network but is accepting packets from the company's servers. Since they probably did a terrible job of securing that connection and the app in the controller, it's got a good chance of getting hacked. If you're lucky it'll just be put in a bot net and used to harass people on the internet. OTOH you can control your sprinklers from anywhere that has cell service. For some people that outweighs all the negatives, some of which they probably don't know about.
ya, i think the draw down on power to keep solenoid open would drain batteries pretty fast.

/ Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves
   / Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves #24  
My B-Hyve Controller has a Wi-Fi receiver and is BlueTooth ready but that's an expensive option and, at best, is very limited in range. Let's say 10 meters {30ft}.
Further, there's an omni-directional access point {Transmitter/Router} 50ft away on the roof of my garage.
When we built out here, years ago, there was a lot of thought went into infrastructure.

/ Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves #26  
In this age of the Internet of Things... it hasn稚 trickled down to sprinkler heads. Yet.
Give it time and it will. Just might not be in our time or budget constraints. 🤦*♂️

There are various brands with wifi enabled components at the controller end. Not the delivery point. It also depends on your budget...

I am also almost 100% sure there are more then a few people that would code an Arduino board and solenoid valve to run via wifi. It痴 an on/off command. It痴 the hardware and if/then issues to work through.
To note, I think the B-hyve is Arduino based. For sprinklers, you just need to figure out power and connectivity issues (power, distance, earth and water).

/ Remote Wireless Controlled Lawn Sprinkler Valves #27  
Oh, I forgot to add:
In the golf world, Rain Bird used to have a 500 series sprinkler that had a built in solenoid. There were a few different models for different needs/systems.

They are insanely expensive though. Like several hundred dollars each.