"Removable" Dump Trailer Sides - Not That Removable

/ "Removable" Dump Trailer Sides - Not That Removable #11  
Gordon,

I'd suggest something a bit differently than using a grinder to clean up the insert posts. I'd use some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper preferably with a pad sander. Why that? Because a grinder tends to make a surface that is not smoothly flat. True it will get the rust and old paint off really fast - but what you really want is highly smooth surfaces - even if only surface smooth and not all the way down to the metal. IMO you want a non friction prepared surface so sandblasting would also be rougher.

Then when you apply whatever lubricant you decide on - its acting off of smoothness and not a textured surface like a grinder can give. Will 400 grit take a long time? No - because "clean" is not your goal - "smooth" is the goal imo.

P.S. and sand length-ways - not sideways. Also maybe consider a "polymer spray" rather than a petroleum based spray for the lubricant.

jmho

/ "Removable" Dump Trailer Sides - Not That Removable
Thank you for those suggestions and the solid concepts. That all makes a lot of sense.

gg

/ "Removable" Dump Trailer Sides - Not That Removable #13  
My vote would be Neverseize and a second (flatbed) trailer. Hey, it's not my money! :drink:

/ "Removable" Dump Trailer Sides - Not That Removable #14  
A molybdenum disulfide solid film lubricant would be ideal, but expensive. It’s $30-40 a can. It sprays on like paint, dries to the touch in about 5 min and cures hard enough that it’s difficult to scrape off and is remarkably slick when both surfaces are coated with it. Since it’s dry, no dust collects.
Anytime you have two pieces of metal that need to slide against each other, it is the best you can do without messy oil or grease.