Remove ROPS

/ Remove ROPS #31  
My brother would be alive now if the 2240 had come with a Rops.

/ Remove ROPS #32  
I've had my 2520 for about ten years now, and I'm getting sick of not being able to now near my trees and bushes.

Any good reason to to take off the roll bar?
I would never remove the ROPS, Mine can be folded down. I do fold it down occasionally, but it's up 99.99999% of the time. If yours doesn't fold modify it but don't take it off.

/ Remove ROPS #33  
Honestly, I would take it off... Not looking to start an argument, just saying what I would likely do if I were in his shoes.

Dagoof, is your mower a 3 pt. mount or mid mount? Do you ever carry anything on the 3 pt. hitch? If it's a 3 pt. mower, that could potentially make you tractor top-heavy if you were carrying an implement all the way raised while traveling on a side slope. But, not having a FEL gives your tractor a relatively low center of gravity. Removing the heavy steel ROPs will lower your center of gravity. And, having a mid-mount mower would actually increase your low center of gravity, making your tractor more stable.

I would say that your likelihood of rolling the tractor over is extremely low. As for mowing around trees, an acquaintance of mine got killed by his tractor while mowing around trees. Not having a ROPs would likely have saved his life. Gear drive tractor, he accidently got caught up in a branch at about neck-height. It lifted him off of the seat and pinned him against the ROPs. Old Kubota without a seat safety switch. Couldn't reach the clutch to disengage the drive. The outcome was not pretty and I won't discuss it in any more detail. But, if the tractor had not been fitted with a ROPs, the branch would've lifted him off of the seat and dropped him behind the tractor while it chugged away. I realize the outcome could potentially be just as bad for someone with a 3 pt. mower. Just something to consider, though.

So if you:
-Never carry anything high on the 3 pt hitch while traveling on a slope
-Have a mid mount mower
-Don't plan to install a FEL
-Only use the tractor on your land, which appears to be completely flat
-Insist upon mowing under trees (I don't blame you for wanting to do so)
Then, I'd remove the ROPs. My opinion.

/ Remove ROPS #35  
When I was in the market for a mower I decided to go with a sub-compact tractor. I looked at zero turns, but I did not want to spend my money on a one trick pony.
I wanted at least a 60" belly mower and 4x4. I mow trails and a zero turn would fail miserably. I also wanted the option of Implements at a later date if I so desired.

It came down to either John Deere or Kubota. Since I did not need a loader, I was already planning on removing the ROPs. On the John Deere the lower part of the ROPs is welded to the frame and even removing the upper would leave the lower to just be in the way around trees. I looked at the Kubota and was pleased it could be completely removed.

In the winter, I put the ROPs back on when I set up the tractor for snow removal.

If mowing your lawn was that big of a hazard, all tractors would have them as well as an ejection seat and parachute. The best safety mechanism is always what's between your ears.

Dave

20180608_185400s.jpg
20181103_144707s.jpg