Remove water to add Rimguard?

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I live in South MS where the temperature seldom gets below freezing for very long. I have recently added a FEL and was pondering the idea of adding more rear ballast. I have had no problems when using with my MX6 attached, but expect a drastic decrease in traction with it removed. By way of the internet, I have determined that my 14.9-28 tires filled with straight water weigh about 442 lbs and filled with Rimguard would be 567 lbs. Looks like it would take 53 gallons per tire. I have had some spinning/loss of traction when pulling a heavy disk too. Thought about adding wheel weights, but the only source I have found so far is the dealer and they are pretty costly. The difference in Rimguard is about equal to one set of wheel weights. Two questions: #1 wheel weights or Rimguard, #2 is either one worth the cost...will I see a noticeable improvement in traction?

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #2  
I can't see the difference in weight between Rimguard and water helping your traction enough to justify the cost. I would not pay the difference here if were not for my tires freezing in winter.

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #3  
Since you don't need the freeze protection and switching to rimguard will only add 250 lbs total , this number by itself is alot of weight, but on a mdeuim size tractor, it's not really much. How much more weight will you get with wheel weights ? What if you had both water and wheel wieghts ?

/ Remove water to add Rimguard?
Since you don't need the freeze protection and switching to rimguard will only add 250 lbs total , this number by itself is alot of weight, but on a mdeuim size tractor, it's not really much. How much more weight will you get with wheel weights ? What if you had both water and wheel wieghts ?

JD lists there wheel weights at 110 lbs each. I looked up the price for one set of weights and the hardware to install them and I believe it was around $500 if I recall correctly. I had even considered trying to swap to the larger 16.9 tire but found out I would have to swap wheels too. One set of wheel weights with water is a little less but roughly equal to tires filled with Rimguard. Just curious if anyone had added one set of wheel weights and noticed a significant increase in traction. I would assume the added weight from the wheel weights or Rimguard since they are equal would be basically the same traction result.

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #5  
I have wheel weights and my tires filled but on a smaller tractor. I can not say I really notice that much more traction but it did add some stability. By the way I had 175# rear wheel weights first then put 4 30# front suit case weights on later then last year put in 20 gallons of Blue Windshield Washer Fluid in each of my rears for 40 gallons total or about 320#.

Chris

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #6  
Two hours ago I just finished making a set of wheel weights for my Kubota B6200. 80 pounds for each rear wheel. Cost me about $20 bucks total. Used a 5 gallon pail full of concrete. I used 6 foot of 1/2 inch threaded rod (3 rods for each wheel, 12 inches each rod). I'll have to see how they work in a couple of days. The concrete is still wet. I figure they should make a good difference for my little tractor.

To keep the rods from turning inside the concrete when I bolt them to the wheels, I welded some scrap to the ends of the rods and then welded the scraps together in the center in the shape of a Y.

My wheels are 15 inch rims with about 12 inch inside diameter so the plastic buckets were a good fit. If you have larger rims, you could make heavier weights in a similar fashion. Just have to come up with a suitable cylander to put the concrete in and hold your rods.

An 80 lb bag of redi-mix is .66 cubic feet, same volume as a 5 gallon bucket.

/ Remove water to add Rimguard? #7  
deere5105,

As I posted in your other thread, you need to have weight on the 3PH while using the loader. I just looked in the manual for your 512 loader and confirmed this.

Attachments

• 5105.JPG
    5105.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 117
   / Remove water to add Rimguard? #8  
Save your money buy the $15 water fill kit and do it your self. with the money you saved if you need more traction then buy the weights.

deere5105,

As I posted in your other thread, you need to have weight on the 3PH while using the loader. I just looked in the manual for your 512 loader and confirmed this.

I read that reference in my manual too. I am trying to get somewhere around option #2. I currently have water filled 14.9-28 tires that gives me around 450 lbs each. I am leaning toward adding two 110 lb wheel weights per tire to bring it to the 660 lbs per tire the loader manual mentions. I would still be a little short on the hitch ballast with my MX6 rotary cutter, but due to the length of it I believe it will be fine. I am not only concerned with FEL performance, but also overall traction while pulling ground engaging equipment, which rules out hitch ballast for that application. I can't see a negative to the extra weight of the wheel weights except for the expense.

Save your money buy the $15 water fill kit and do it your self. with the money you saved if you need more traction then buy the weights.

Think that is pretty much where I have arrived.