Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #21  
Interesting story.

I do mechanical work (equipment, trucks, trailers, etc) a few days a week for a buddy's landscape company.

This buddy has a partner that I don't really get along with and is a worthless POS in my opinion.

My latest project involved removing a flatbed from a 2005 F450 and putting on a used dump bed they purchased.

Last Monday....I got the flat bed removed...which was wired (lights and trailer plug) in a whether tight box. I wrote on a tablet wire colors and where they all went and left the box wired to the truck so I only needed to rewire lights and trailer plug when nee bed was on.

The owner I don't like text me that night and said don't worry bout coming in because he was gonna clean and paint the frame. Well all he did was a 2-rattle can job...lol. Totally removed all the wiring to the truck box and just thought I'd figure it out 🤬

Anyway....I digressed. Rather than let me install the bed....de decided he wanted the glory of doing it himself. And in doing so....he cut out the cross member that ties the frame rails together right at the front spring perches.

This kinda irritated me that he wanted to take over the project.....but now it's at a point I don't want to touch the truck for safety/liability reasons.

See, I'm a contractor. And buddy's partner that I don't like makes that known every chance he gets. And if something happens I don't want it coming back on me for working on this truck since I'm the contracted "professional".

My gut tells me to just walk away from this project....but I thought about a waiver. Have them sign a waiver releasing me of any liability regarding this truck/frame/cross member. Because I don't know just how structurally important it is. Probably something I would do if it was a beater wood hauling truck or something.

But I worry a waiver is an admission to knowing there was a safety concern...that would now be documented....and wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

Thoughts?
It's a good idea to document that you felt there was a safety concern and that you notified the "jerk" of it. Much safer than just walking away and him saying you were the one that cut off the cross member.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #22  
Go with your gut. Explain the situation clearly to your Friend and stay out of it completely. Give him the wiring diagram.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #23  
As a stranger peeking in through the window, I would follow your gut.

Memorializing it with a registered letter to your friends business from your insurance agent and/or attorney would put everyone on notice, "Beware of Dog".
That’s what I’m thinking.
Walking away without giving notice looks more like “hiding” the defect (I know the OP isn’t, just making a generality)
Reporting it gives notice and if it went before a magistrate or worse a jury, a least shows you did everything in your power to give notice of the defect.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #24  
My gut tells me to just walk away from this project....but I thought about a waiver. Have them sign a waiver releasing me of any liability regarding this truck/frame/cross member. Because I don't know just how structurally important it is. Probably something I would do if it was a beater wood hauling truck or something.

But I worry a waiver is an admission to knowing there was a safety concern...that would now be documented....and wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.
Great dialog here. After considering all, your highest priority would be to not touch that piece of equipment ever again. I like the advice of speaking with an attorney, but if you don't want to shell out money for something you didn't do, then my second choice would be to send a certified letter to the company, stating that "you have a concern that after you removed the old flatbed body, a dump body was installed without your involvement, and you are aware that 'one or more' structural members of the truck were cut or removed." Keep it simple by stating that you have a concern, and not that you know there will be failure. You don't want to be considered or questioned as the expert. Cutting or removing a load-bearing member of anything is never a good action unless it is replaced.

That should be a good enough "Beware of Dog" message, and that you were not involved. I would be sure to capture/save all written correspondence, such as texts, and take time to write notes about what you did or any correspondence on each day. I would also capture the posted FB photos and information. This is your safety net, should anyone want to point fingers or ask pointed questions of you.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #25  
Sounds like the partner took over the job so I would let him have at it. Maybe next time he will leave stuff alone that you were working on. If your friend wants you to work on it just tell him what you told us.

Just my 2cents.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #26  
The springs are mounted beside the frame rails. So the crossmember is there to stop the frame rails from twisting inwards. At the trailer company i worked 15 years ago, i was the first engineer that ever worked there, and they started by trial and error. A trailer with air suspension came in, of which the spring hand just ripped a bite out of the frame rail so the axle was flopping around. We gusseted and crossmembered it properly, then it was good to go.

Where did this installment happen ? Were you working in their shop, or in yours ? So were they hiring you as a self employed help, or as contractor ?

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #27  
I'd make sure somebody with brains has a complete understanding of the problem that was created, and then let them tell you how (if at all) they want to fix it. No reason you have to carry this burden on your shoulders at all, mentally or physically. But do make sure they understand the situation. That's really the best you can do and the rest is up to them.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist.
I'd make sure somebody with brains has a complete understanding of the problem that was created, and then let them tell you how (if at all) they want to fix it. No reason you have to carry this burden on your shoulders at all, mentally or physically. But do make sure they understand the situation. That's really the best you can do and the rest is up to them.
Things are documented with email and texts.

Both owners are aware of the issue, aware that I wasn't the one who did it, and aware that my advise (as their contracted mechanic) is that the truck is not road worthy without replacing the crossmember.

This is their shop I work out of and not mine. Nothing more I can do. I cannot physically hold a gun to their head and make them not use the truck or force a repair.

So what they do going forward is completely up to them. I have washed my hands of the situation.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #29  
It sounds like you covered your tail the best that you can. Here, commercial vehicles are subject to roadside stops and what you describe would cause the trooper to pull it out of service immediately, costing them towing fees and lost revenue.

I could be wrong, but it seems like most dump bodies I see are set up on some type of subframe running the length of the dump. This raises it up to accomodate the piston, and distributes the weight rather than having it all on the pivot on the frame.