Removing rusty self tapping screws

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Is it feasible or has anyone done this using a stick welder.

I have tried removing these rusty screws from a trailer bed. They are self tapping and have been there a long time. I have tried to use impact and have twisted some off.

Has anyone used a carbon rod in a stick welder and touched the screw until it was cherry red, and let it cool. My thoughts are that it would burn the rust between the screw and the frame, and when cooled, would allow the screw to turn more easily.

How many amps would be required to heat a number 6 screw about 2.5 in long.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #2  
Don稚 know about the amperage, but your question brings up more questions. Why would you want to remove them, except to replace the wood? Rotten wood tends to harbor fire so be careful with the heat. I removed some from a trailer a while back and the wood suffered from the heat. I finally took a right angle grinder with a 9" blade and cut the protruding part off from underneath. The heat from cutting seemed to loosen up the now shorter screw so it took less work back on top of the deck. I really wanted to cut them with a torch but that tended to mess up the thread which made it impossible to back out. The Torx screws the used were hardened on the face so drilling them from above was not an option.
David from Jax

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws
Yep, I need to replace the deck boards, and they are Torx screws. The other option is to use a 1/2 in hole saw and cut around all the screws and lift the wood out, then use penetrating fluid and vice grips on the screws. I really don't want to drill new holes.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #4  
I had to do this very thing to a neighbors flatbed trailer a few years ago. I'm not a very patient guy:laughing:, so I used my bridge crane with a shake out hook in the hoist's hook, and ripped the boards off. Took a zip disk on a 4-inch grinder and cut the screws off flush with the cross members. When replacing the boards I used a little different screw pattern.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #5  
cut out the boards with a chainsaw, circ saw or equivalent .

Get a prybar and remove the remaining pieces around the screws.

Go back with a angle grinder and cut the screws.

No shortcut that i know and ive redecked a couple. Using a torch (welder etc) will never get heat down to where its needed.. plus youll end up spending half your time putting out fires.:D

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #6  
How about this...

Flip trailer over. Hit each screw briefly with an angle grinder to knock the tip off down flush to the angle iron. Then punch each one out.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #7  
Angle grinder on the screw heads. It will easily chew through the decking as well. Then pull the boards off and zing off the remainder of the screws with the grinder.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #8  
How about using a Torx socket with a six or eight inch extension, and hit with a hammer a few good licks. Take a pull-handle and rock it back and forth. I hope it works, cause I have to do the same thing next year.

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #9  
As others have advised, holesaw or the like to get most of the wood off, angle grinder to knock the tops off flush. Replace wood planks, use these to screw'em down.

McMaster-Carr

/ Removing rusty self tapping screws #10  
I think you could use a grinder to cut down on thescrew head then pry the board off the screw. After the boards are off hit the sceew with a big hamer on the side and they wil break off. Trying to reuse the old holes will take a long time measuring and driling the wood and you will still mis on most of them. The new screws should be self driling so all you have to do is dril them in.