Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle..

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #21  
I might have misread that this was a touch up situation vs a complete re-blue, (that I'd have stripped to do, and won't digress to explain.)

Pretty sure the OP didn't want to go whole hog on this, or worry about collector value of a plinker. Not all bargain acquisitions need Doug Turnbull to make them shootable.

I might have been wrong about the OP's nice rifle. Apologies if 'just enough' isn't quite enough. Didn't think it was quite this bad, either:

IMG_0482.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_1255.JPG

"Chiappaloy" here and similar used by other makers is a zinc-steel alloy. (many MLs, RFs, cheapo HGs) You'd never guess that element by the color of corrosion.

No 'one size fits all' when there are so many alloys, finishes, ages, values, situations. JHMO

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle..
I might have misread that this was a touch up situation vs a complete re-blue, (that I'd have stripped to do, and won't digress to explain.)

Pretty sure the OP didn't want to go whole hog on this, or worry about collector value of a plinker. Not all bargain acquisitions need Doug Turnbull to make them shootable.

I might have been wrong about the OP's nice rifle. Apologies if 'just enough' isn't quite enough. Didn't think it was quite this bad, either:

View attachment 616526 View attachment 616530 View attachment 616528

"Chiappaloy" here and similar used by other makers is a zinc-steel alloy. (many MLs, RFs, cheapo HGs) You'd never guess that element by the color of corrosion.

No 'one size fits all' when there are so many alloys, finishes, ages, values, situations. JHMO

You are correct.. Just the surface rust is what I wanted to remove..

/ Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle.. #23  
   / Removing Surface Rust From Shotgun/Rifle..
I'm on an old gun kick, I like the old gun wood and quality, I just bought an old Sako 22-250 that looks new, $600 was cheap, from the same guy I bought an older Weatherby mark v deluxe like new 30-06 both with leupold vari-x iii, bought that one for $600 as well..