Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #11  
X2 on the heat to soften it up. It will back right out.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #12  
Heat would work if it did not have a rubber seat or something else and i believe they do. I do know it's not metal to metal seat.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #13  
I have one of these but not with a removable bit. It's the tool that could not be inserted far enough otherwise it bottomed out first.

Many good ideas-- I will try them, and I will look for this same tool with a larger auger. Thanks!
What's the inner diameter of the broken part right now?
I'd be interested to see a pic of what you're dealing with and how you solve the problem eventually.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #14  
What's the inner diameter of the broken part right now?
I'd be interested to see a pic of what you're dealing with and how you solve the problem eventually.
If it's 3/4" PVC...the inside diameter should be 3/4"...

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #15  
If it's 3/4" PVC...the inside diameter should be 3/4"...
Presumably, though there could be a 1"-3/4" reducer at the bottom of 3/4" pvc pipe; I haven't seen an extractor for 1" is why I asked.

My pvc extractors are for 1/2" and 3/4"; I guess plowhog's extractor is the 1/2"

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #16  
I have this problem regularly for our horse waterers, although it's 1/2 inch pvc. I ream it with a stepped drill bit until the PVC is super thin, usually comes right out by then. I've also sawn notches in the pvc at 180 degrees from the other then stick a knife or other tool in and turn by hand - not always successful with that. I try to use dull blades so the threads of the metal pipe don't get buggered.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor
I'll get a photo and post it in the next day.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor
OK getting this plastic male adaptor out is turning out to be a b-i-t-c-h.

I found a tool at Home Depot *supposedly* just for this job. But like the other tool I tried, I had a hard time inserting it far enough to get a good bite. It bumps up against the seat of the freezeless hydrant. But I got enough of a bite to seemingly back out the broken male adaptor. It has a cam that expands as you back it out. No go. The special tool won't stay in line with the pipe, and it wants to wander to the size as I try to unscrew it. Some of the damage at the edge of the pipe was actually caused by that tool. I got enough bite on it to leave serrations on the inside of the plastic fitting-- but it still would not budge.

I tried heating the pipe. I didn't use a torch because the freezeless hydrant seat looks to be rubber. So I used a propane Mr. Heater and set the fitting above it. And turned it once or twice to heat it all around. Still, nothing would back out the plastic male adaptor. I tried turning by hand, using the tool, and the tried and true chisel and a hammer. I'm pretty sure the fitting was glued in. I can also see some teflon tape sticking out on the far side of the threads.

I was able to pry the plastic fitting from the side-- making sure to pry away from the threads. That successfully broke a small piece out. That's as far as I got.

I don't want to create (more) damage so I will have to try again tomorrow .... it is seated in there TIGHT!

Attachments

• PVCthreads1.jpg
    PVCthreads1.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 139
  • PVCthreads2.jpg
    PVCthreads2.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 139
   / Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #20