Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #1  

dangerdoc

Gold Member
I have a Kubota M5400 with la1001 loader. I want to add a 4n1 bucket. I am switching to skidloader attach so I want to be able to run all 3 hydrolic lines at the same time.

Right now I am thinking about removing the joystick and changing to a three valve system. The problem is that I'm not sure how the levers are going to work from the seat. I also don't know how easy it will be to get the new valves into the spot the old ones currently live in.

My other option is adding an accessory line posible in the rear which would increase what I can to with the 3 point. I would need to run a hose along the length of the tractor but it would leave my joystick intact.

If anyone has some input, I'm all ears.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #2  
What you need is a electric diverter or electric 3rd function valve. Either will provide a new hydraulic circuit to your FEL that is operated from a button on your joystick handle.
The cost will be about $500-$600. There is a kit available from WR Long, call them and ask about it. You will be much happier with this setup than three levers!

If you search for these terms you will see there are A LOT of post's about these same setup used with grapples and snowplows.

grapple
diverter
WR Long
4n1
3rd function

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #3  
There is out there a third function valve which is a 12 volt solenoid valve and all you have is a thumb switch added to the joy stick handle.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory.
kennyd said:
What you need is a electric diverter or electric 3rd function valve. Either will provide a new hydraulic circuit to your FEL that is operated from a button on your joystick handle.
The cost will be about $500-$600. There is a kit available from WR Long, call them and ask about it. You will be much happier with this setup than three levers!

If you search for these terms you will see there are A LOT of post's about these same setup used with grapples and snowplows.

grapple
diverter
WR Long
4n1
3rd function

I'm aware of the diverter but it has two problems. One is that you have to give up a function, usually tilt ,I think, when you hit the switch. The second, and I may be wrong here is that you use the power beyond which would limit what you can run off the hydrolic. I am thinking I will use an auger at some point.

I have researched this enough to know that I need a third hydrolic valve. I just don't know if it is better to give up the joystick and run with three sticks or keep the joystick and have another stick, probably tucked under the seat or physically below the joystick.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #5  
I'm aware of the diverter but it has two problems. One is that you have to give up a function, usually tilt ,I think, when you hit the switch.

Yes, but only while the switch is pushed. This is rarely a problem, you can only do so many things at once anyway or everything slows to a crawl. I have one that I used for my FEL plow and it became seamless to use. Many here have them for grapples and I have heard no complaints.

The second, and I may be wrong here is that you use the power beyond which would limit what you can run off the hydrolic. I am thinking I will use an auger at some point.

The diverter does not use the PowerBeyond, but the electric 3rd function valve does. This set-up does NOT limit what you can run in any way. It just plumbs into the PB loop and is transparent to the pump unless it's activated. The down side of these is that they are either ON or OFF, so the function cannot be "feathered" per say, but this does not seem to be a problem with the grapples either.

I just don't know if it is better to give up the joystick and run with three sticks
This would not be an option I would consider, it's taking a step backwards IMHO.

keep the joystick and have another stick, probably tucked under the seat or physically below the joystick.

This is do-able, the new valve would also be plumbed to the PB line, and you could have a set of couplers at the front and rear for use with a grapple or a 3PH mounted implement that needs hydraulics like a blade.

kennyd said:
This is do-able, the new valve would also be plumbed to the PB line, and you could have a set of couplers at the front and rear for use with a grapple or a 3PH mounted implement that needs hydraulics like a blade.

Ok, I think I am starting to narrow things down.

The electric thumb switch does not allow use of hydrolic motors, at least the ones I've seen.

Now if I want to run the 4n1 bucket most of the time (cylinder) but have the option of renting an auger (motor) occasionally, how do I select a valve? I don't want to damage the equipment with a motor spinning down against a closed valve.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #7  
Dangerdoc,

The little info I've been able to find, it appears the 5400 comes with one set of remote auxiliary hydraulics. If this is the case, I would suggest installing the WRLong third function valve kit to operate any attachment that uses cylinders, e.g., 4in1 bucket, grapple. For the occasional use you would rent an attachment that uses a hydraulic motor, you could have a set of hoses made up to reach from the FEL to the auxiliary hydraulics. I'm not sure if this would be the cheapest, but I think it would be the least cluttered looking.

Joe

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #8  
Just to suggest perhaps another option...

My loader valve originaly had two levers, one for up/down, the other was tilt/dump. I used a joystick from an unused valve laying in a friend's parts pile, and installed it on my valve. Looks and works like it has always been there.

You could replace your two spool valve with a similar three spool model, install your old joystick on two spools, and have the third function right there on the side.

/ Replace joystick with 3 levers or accessory. #9  
I bought a 12VDC 3rd function valve from Surplus Center ($110) and added some relays and built a push button set for my loader stick using 1" tube and a split collar. The non motor spool is a minor issue as long as there is not much inertia load back to the motor. Something as lite as a PHD at less than 10 gpm I would think would be OK.
P1010014 (Small).JPG

P1010051 (Small).JPG

GIJOE said:
Dangerdoc,

The little info I've been able to find, it appears the 5400 comes with one set of remote auxiliary hydraulics. If this is the case, I would suggest installing the WRLong third function valve kit to operate any attachment that uses cylinders, e.g., 4in1 bucket, grapple. For the occasional use you would rent an attachment that uses a hydraulic motor, you could have a set of hoses made up to reach from the FEL to the auxiliary hydraulics. I'm not sure if this would be the cheapest, but I think it would be the least cluttered looking.

Joe

Unfortunately, the auxiliary hydrolic was an option that the original buyer did not have installed.