Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type?

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
Does anyone know if it is still possible (feasible) to replace the original NAA vane hydraulic pump with a piston pump? Apparently at one time there was a factory kit to do so. It looks like you would need the new pump and new suction/pressure lines. Is there still a source for these items? I've been browsing around the popular parts sites and all I'm seeing are rebuild kits for piston pumps.

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #2  
I have a piston pump available for $400 plus shipping. The manifold I have won't work on an NAA.

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #3  
keep in mind that your draft hyds will be more sensitive using the newer 4gpm pump vs the old 2.9gpm pump.. but that's a non issue.

ps, Rick's a solid trustworthy guy.

soundguy

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type?
Thanks Soundguy and Rick. My vane pump is currently working okay but I'm planning for a rainy day. My first order of business is to try and locate the piston style pressure and suction tubes. Without those a new pump won't do me much good.

Are all piston pumps that fit the NAA going to be 4 gpm? I recall reading that there were 2.5 gpm piston pumps as well or are those no longer readily available?

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #5  
the piston pumps for the 55+ series were 4gpm.

it's not a real big deal 4gpm vs 3gpm.. just some draft sensitivity.. mostly due to exhaust charateristics and valving made for 3gp running 33% more fluid thru..

soundguy

That's good info. Thanks.

I almost have my NAA ready to go to work. I will post some photos soon. WIth my 9N I never had a choice of implement control. Now that I can choose between Draft and Position control I wonder which works best for use with a rear snow blade. I'm thinking Position control as it has been working well for gravel driveway grading duties.

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #7  
you can get something like position control with the n with a small bolt on jig kit.

it's essentially a mechanical feedback sensor that palpitates the 3pt lift handle in response to changes in 3pt height.

soundguy

Darn, I just lost a bid on Ebay for a decent set of piston-style NAA hydraulic lines. Can you believe they went for $350? I still can't understand, given the vast amount of aftermarket parts available for these tractors that no one makes replacement lines. I can sort of understand not having the vane style lines but you would think piston style lines would be available somewhere. I would have even expected someone to have adapted off-the-shelf hydraulic hoses to replacement manifolds.

Piston pumps and rebuild kits are available most anywhere but of course are useless without the newer style lines and manifold.

The search continues...

/ Replace NAA vane hydraulic pump with piston type? #9  
I -HAVE- seen at least 4 situations where adapter and generic lines have been made.

everything from crudely torched out adapter plated with soft lines tapped in and hung along the tractor, to nice machined aluminum plates from a machinist.

have also seen the lower attachment from the tractor re-used and brazed to, then a adapter made for the pump ( have seen a non oem pump too! ).

so 'rolling your own' is not out of the question.. though it would require some work.

one of the situations I say required lots of butchering, as a piston pump was used, the oem lower line connection tot he tractor from the vane pump was re-used, and brazed onto the lines with adapters for soft lines, then the flange of a piston pump for a 00 series was cut up and scavanged to make the pump connection.

IMHO.. too many good parts were cut up to make that conversion.. though I'm sure the tractor owner felt it was a good trade to have hyds.. :)

keep looking, and catch the next one if ya need it.

soundguy