Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...?

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

Had a bit of a mishap yesterday - I was using the brush cutter and accidentally picked up a metal cable (with a chain on the end!) that was lying in the brush that someone had left in the wooded area of my property.

The 48" brush cutter picked up the cable, wrapped it around the spinning blade and hub, and then took the chain and swung it around with great force. It managed to obliterate (!!!!) the plastic wheels on the back of the 48" brush cutter. If the chain was any longer, I think it would have probably injured or killed me. I was planning to get rid of those plastic wheels anyway, both on the 48" brush cutter AND the 48" finish mower. I think its a bad design... they don't pivot like the front wheels, and end up ruining turf or other areas when I am pivoting the tractor around.

So, other than praising the Lord for not being DEAD (Praise the Lord! Thank you!) I would like suggestions on what to replace the wheels with, and where to buy such a thing. Casters? Rubber wheels?

My initial thought was to purchase some heavy swivel casters, and mount them to a solid block of wood through which I pass the big bolt that serves as the axle for the plastic wheels. Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Rob :)

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...?
I might also add that Power Trac charges $25/wheel for replacement plastic wheels.

-Rob :)

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #3  
I blew a back wheel on our brush cutter to smithereens one time when I hit a steel ratcheting tie-down that was in the grass by the highway. (never mow near a highway when traffic is around!). I bought the replacement wheel from PT because I could not find anything locally to match.

I would not use wood to mount anything on the brush cutter. It WILL break. ;)

I would be tempted to try some of those rear tires meant for brush hogs, but they are pretty wide and would require some extensive welding, plus they would ride outside the width of the cutter, creating quite a bit of drag in the brush and rolling things down before the next pass.

David! Great to hear from you. Wow. Almost 18,000 posts? I'm duly impressed.

Yes, what you said makes total sense. I have already ordered a couple of wheels from PT because I KNOW they will work, but I still think another solution would be good. So, I am still thinking.

(Glad you're OK as well!)

Thanks for the input,

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #5  
When you talk of plastic wheels I can only hope that they have normal ball bearings in them!

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #6  
Well I bought new wheels for my mower deck from Grainger for about $30 apiece and they have a steel rim with a solid rubber tire adhered to it. They also have a 800# weight limit each and come with roller bearings and not cheap ball bearings like most wheels. They work great and when I complained to Power-trac about their wheels they sent me another set of almost the same quality (cheap). So now I have a brand new set form Power-trac just sitting on a shelf in the garage and I don't know what to do with them.

Well I bought new wheels for my mower deck from Grainger for about $30 apiece and they have a steel rim with a solid rubber tire adhered to it. They also have a 800# weight limit each and come with roller bearings and not cheap ball bearings like most wheels. They work great and when I complained to Power-trac about their wheels they sent me another set of almost the same quality (cheap). So now I have a brand new set form Power-trac just sitting on a shelf in the garage and I don't know what to do with them.

Well, now I feel buyers remorse. PT just sold me a set of plastic wheels (and yes, they are just solid pieces of molded plastic with no bearings anywhere in sight). They have stood up OK, but I am surprised that PT cuts corners in certain places. I guess they feel that the rear wheels on their implements is a good place to cut.

Coolconnection, can you give me a link or part number for your Grainger wheels?

Thanks so much,

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #8  
I'd be inclined to look at the gauge wheels that are used on zero-turn mowers. They are a much rounder profile than the PT wheels and should slide sideways without digging in so much.

I'd be inclined to look at the gauge wheels that are used on zero-turn mowers. They are a much rounder profile than the PT wheels and should slide sideways without digging in so much.

That's a good idea! All the ones I've seen are much smaller in diameter, however. I wonder if that will make a difference.

Sincerely,

/ Replace plastic wheels on the mower with...? #10  
That's a good idea! All the ones I've seen are much smaller in diameter, however. I wonder if that will make a difference.

Sincerely,

I don't think diameter is critical. It's just a matter of how they roll and whether they snag and dig in. Bigger is probably better until they stick out too much to the side and catch on obstructions.

Sounds good anyway. I still have my PT originals from 2004...