Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #1  

nrosario

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320P
Hello everyone,

I really like this community, it has been a tremendous source of knowledge.
-This web is part of my daily reads-.

We have a 2016 Mahindra Max 26xl with FEL and Backhoe.
The tractor has worked tremendously well, I have been able to complete multiple personal and family projects, as well as help some of my neighbors.
At the time we acquire the Max, the tractor we really wanted was the Kubota B2650, but I got a great deal on the Mahindra.

Allow me to say that I really don't like the PTO engagement in the max, my max is an 8x8 shuttle shift.
It has a live PTO, no middle of the ground/halfway engagement clutch, nada. -But love the shuttle shift but not the pto.

So far we don't have a tractor-driven finish mower, we do have a flail mower but that doesn't work that well for the front yard, which is .5 acres.
I really tire and sick of the push mower.

These are my needs and wants:
  • Need ride-on mower / mid mower or something along those lines.
  • Want Independent PTO
  • Want an early birthday present, if possible.

Here the options I see so far:
  • Buy an entry-level zero-turn mower, swallow the direct pto thing, and be done.
  • Buy mid/finish mower for my current tractor, might not be the best option due to the pto engagement.
  • Sell my current tractor and get the machine I really like/want, TLB + Mid mower with independent pto, cruise control, couple of rear remotes, "The Big Kahuna" (Kubota B2601 or LX2610, Deere 2025r, etc).

The finance committee will have a saying in any and every option.

Things I do with the machine,
  • land clearing (flail mower)
  • Grapple work (branches, trees, trunks, etc)
  • Dig trenches,...
  • Anything involving the tractor, for my own amusement and stress relieve

I was also considering downsizing to a Deere 1025R, this due to the mid mower quick connect feature.
Please feel free to ask any questions, all ideas and opinions are welcome.

Thank you.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #2  
I can't tell if you're seeking opinions or justification. If it was me doing the buying and my only complaint was the PTO I'd probably just buy a lawn mower and use the tractor as a tractor. On the other hand you seem to REALLY want the Kubota which you should have probably bought in the first place regardless of cost (I did) under the philosophy of buy once, cry once. If you go for the Kubota you should probably go with the HST transmission as I think they have a live PTO as well. With the HST you can set your PTO speed then accelerate or not without altering the PTO speed. Good luck either way.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower
I can't tell if you're seeking opinions or justification. If it was me doing the buying and my only complaint was the PTO I'd probably just buy a lawn mower and use the tractor as a tractor. On the other hand you seem to REALLY want the Kubota which you should have probably bought in the first place regardless of cost (I did) under the philosophy of buy once, cry once. If you go for the Kubota you should probably go with the HST transmission as I think they have a live PTO as well. With the HST you can set your PTO speed then accelerate or not without altering the PTO speed. Good luck either way.

Thank you sir.
And Yes I'm looking for more Ammo than anything else.
And you are correct, I should have bought the B2650.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #4  
Yep,shuttle shift is only offered with trasmission pto whereas HST transmission has independent pto. If ypour main complaint with pto is mowing,have you considered/tried and overrunning clutch. I mow my 1.5 acre yard with a 25hp,54" lawn tractor and don't see the need for a zturn or tractoer finish mower. Outside yard,along driveway,FM hi-way frontage and other places I want to look nicer than brush hog mowing,I use flail. Flail look's better than what any of my kids Z-turn do. Aside to the pto issue,sound's like buying a lawn tractor would be my solution. Another consideration is type flail you have. Mine has L shaped knives that do a nicer job than z-turn until it hit's a bunch of rocks and such (which I avoid happening) but a sharpening brings it right back.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #5  
I don't believer a mowing CUT is a good sub for a ZTR. Mowing around borders or objects can leave ruts after a season even with a lighter machine.

'Trading up' could co$t as much o'all as a good mower would. :2cents:

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #6  
The 2025r from JD also has the auto connect deck, which I have and it works well. That said I can be kind of cheap at times. If your tractor generally meets your needs, I’d get a cheap riding mower and save some money.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #7  
As I've said before, a tractor with an MMM will mow and mow well, but it is not a mower. It will ride like a tractor, which means rough over bumps and uneven ground. I got one because of my hills that are too severe for most mowers. But I don't use it to mow the lawn areas. I kept the riders for that type of work. And don't forget the weight issue ... you're talking 2,000 pounds plus for a SCUT and under 1,000 for a riding mower.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #8  
I have a 60" zero turn and a L3301 tractor.

I use the tractor for grading, thinning brush between the trees, and general heavy chores.

I mow 2-1/2 acres with the zero turn to give a finish look and mulch the leaves during the late fall. What I don't like about the zero turn is being covered in dust and grim after each mow. It's particularly bad when mulching leaves. A respirator is a must.

As I get older I wish for a cab tractor but may just hire out the mowing to high school kids and let them eat dust. :laughing:

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #9  
I have a finish mower I could use behind the tractors, but the ZTR mower is so much faster and easier. It's your choice, but I would reserve the tractor for other chores and do the mowing with a ZTR.

/ Replace with new tractor or add a zero turn mower #10  
^^^^^