Replaced engine on my PT422

/ Replaced engine on my PT422 #43  
Started taking engine out of my 422 today , done with the easy stuff now to tackle the harder things I think. Found something that could have been bad, the positive cable from the battery to the starter had all the coating rubbed off several places and the copper wire was showing, glad I caught that before something bad happened. Trying to figure out how to get the engine mounting bolts loose , one looks like it is going to be real hard, (under starter) the others look not quite so hard.

/ Replaced engine on my PT422
Started taking engine out of my 422 today , done with the easy stuff now to tackle the harder things I think. Found something that could have been bad, the positive cable from the battery to the starter had all the coating rubbed off several places and the copper wire was showing, glad I caught that before something bad happened. Trying to figure out how to get the engine mounting bolts loose , one looks like it is going to be real hard, (under starter) the others look not quite so hard.

I got that bolt partly from the oil drain access hole. It helped to have a second person. I think I reached from the front of the engine with my left hand to get to the top of the bolt.

/ Replaced engine on my PT422 #45  
Got all the bolts except that one , cannot keep wrench on top of bolt to keep from spinning. I did like you said reach the nut on the bottom through the oil drain access hole . My son tried to hold wrench on bolt top but it kept slipping off . Bolt is loose but cannot get nut off completely. Did you have to slide engine forward to get rear pump free of motor?

Got all the bolts except that one , cannot keep wrench on top of bolt to keep from spinning. I did like you said reach the nut on the bottom through the oil drain access hole . My son tried to hold wrench on bolt top but it kept slipping off . Bolt is loose but cannot get nut off completely. Did you have to slide engine forward to get rear pump free of motor?

Not sure. I don稚 think so. It did not take much engine movement to clear it. I think the nuts on the engine bolts are nylock.

/ Replaced engine on my PT422 #47  
Its out and what a mess 19 years of crud built up even though it was cleaned out often. Going to clean it out as best I can and then decide what I am going to do for a replacementView attachment 565399View attachment 565400 P1010014 (1).JPGP1010015 (1).JPG

/ Replaced engine on my PT422 #49  
I have another 22 hp Robin that I purchased used years ago for parts or a backup. I have not decided if I want to put it in or not. I used the 2 ignition coils off it on the engine I just took out so I would have to replace them and they are not cheap. I am not sure how many hours on the replacement engine and if sitting in my garage for probably 10 years could have any ill effects on it. I do not want to put it in and find out it is no good or subpar.

/ Replaced engine on my PT422 #50  
(since it's not my money) Go Big or Go home!

I would at least drop in a 25hp... or bigger. Field mowing with my PT422 is a royal pain 'cause not enough power.