replacement battery 3720

/ replacement battery 3720 #1  

fishhead

Gold Member
Well the current cold snap seems to have shown a weakness in the battery of my 3720. At -30 and only and hour and a half of being plugged in the tractor would barely turn over once - did get it to start with a charger/125amp booster but i figure its an indication the end is near. I did a search on here and all i learned was that the batteries on the early 3720's may have had some issues and that some posters thought many of the higher performance replacements were not (or might not be) appropriate for use on a compact diesel.
I guess the newer ones were different or i am lucky because the date on mine is 2012. What is the current consensus if any, just replace with stock or is there something that is much better that will work with the duty cycle and charging pattern of the 3x20 series?

TIA

/ replacement battery 3720 #2  
Replace with stock battery from JD.. IMO

/ replacement battery 3720 #3  
There's nothing magic about a John Deere battery - they don't make them. Get the highest amp hour battery that will fit in the space allotted. Note which way the terminals are configured - locations of plus and minus. Interstate is a good brand but not the only brand. The top end Walmart batteries are quite good also. If you want longevity you could even investigate an AGM type battery.

/ replacement battery 3720 #4  
There's nothing magic about a John Deere battery - they don't make them. Get the highest amp hour battery that will fit in the space allotted. Note which way the terminals are configured - locations of plus and minus. Interstate is a good brand but not the only brand. The top end Walmart batteries are quite good also. If you want longevity you could even investigate an AGM type battery.
True, JD does not make them. I just have good service from them in my JD "fleet".

Have had three bad Interstate batteries put in my 2009 trailblazer. Two lasted around 3 months, and were replaced under warranty. Not sure what that problem was, but very inconvenient to be stranded two of the three times.

/ replacement battery 3720
appreciate the insights, i think i had read some posters stating that the agm batteries might not be totally compatible with the deere charging system

/ replacement battery 3720 #6  
the early batteries for both the 3x20 and 4x20 leaked battery acid badly. ( I have a early 4320) John deere had a recall and replaced the batteries. the replacement battery for mine lasted just over 14 years ( I couldn't believe it myself) if I remember correctly it's a group 24.

Thanks - sounds like both of us have had success with the new one so it might just be the best alternative- Though I kinda like the idea expressed above by roadworthy to fit the biggest possible in the spot

/ replacement battery 3720 #8  
If you have access to Costco, they have the best price and warranty of any batteries I can find in my area. No need to go with a Deere battery, IMO. The Costco batteries are Interstate Batteries here locally. They have performed well for my 3520 and my X584. In fact, both machines use the Type 51R battery which is readily available.

Thanks,
And merry Christmas

I do have access to one nearby i'll check it out

/ replacement battery 3720 #10  
I installed a optima battery in my 4320 5 years ago never had a problem since.