Replacement Engine

/ Replacement Engine #1  

tkcomer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R
I have a 2002 Poulan Pro with a 48" deck and a 26 HP B&S engine that I want to replace due to sporadic heavy smoking and oil usage. The engine is a 446777 077 E1 with about 700 hours on it. I can't seem to find a 26 HP replacement engine that will swap into this mower. I can find a B&S 25 HP 44S977-0033-G1 that I think will fit. It has the same 724 cc as mine. If the grass gets away from me, the mower could use more power. Will that one less HP make that big a difference?

/ Replacement Engine #2  
Assuming that you have the 446777-0177-E1 correcting your model number since you are missing a digit in the type number, May want to verify that I am correct. Anyway the 446777-0177-E1 supercedes to a 44Q777-3136 which is now superceded to the 44S977-0033-G1 which you listed And my Briggs distribution system is showing it as backordered so engines are limited to what is in stock at the sales and service dealers.

/ Replacement Engine #3  
You could just put some new rings and valve seals in it and go for another 700 hours.

Before throwing money at it, make sure that the crankcase ventilation system is working. If it is plugged, the pressure in the crankcase could be causing your excessive oil consumption.

Richard

/ Replacement Engine
Oops, I did miss a number. So do you think the 44S977-0033-G1 will power this mower adequately? This is my hillside mower and I'm really trying to keep it going as I haven't found anything to replace it. The parts to rebuild it are kinda high especially if you go and replace the rods. I took it to a shop and the consensus was it is worn out from mowing on it's side for so long.

Last edited:
   / Replacement Engine #5  
I don't think you will notice the 1 hp difference if there really is a difference.

Could check into the 49T877-0004-G1 which is 27 hp
or
49S877-0004-G1
49S877-0015-G1
49S877-0021-G1 which are 28 hp but all these engines are a good price increase over the 44S977-0033-G1

/ Replacement Engine #6  
I have a 24hp BS on my 48 inch and it has plenty of power even in heavy wet grass.

/ Replacement Engine #7  
Both are 44" engines. 49" engine would be the logical upgrade as Randy indicated. Fact is though, A HOP rider with 700 hours is simply not worth the bother. That grand or so would good well towards a X5XX Deere.

/ Replacement Engine
I did see that B&S 49T877-0004-G1 but wasn't sure about that 10" mounting bolt circle. As far as John Deere ( Or any other kind of rider) goes, they have pedal control for movement. Mine has a side lever which allows me to sit on the side of the seat and lean way over to keep the mower on the hillside with the discharge chute pointing down. I can't do that with a pedal operated mower. Plus the seat switch is the old style "Y" type. Newer ones have the switch in the seat. And I don't (Won't) want to disable that switch.

/ Replacement Engine #9  
I get that some people like or simply require a lever operated hydro. Things that I see on these models as the hours tick along are cracking frames ahead of the transaxle, worn pockets in the frame that support the front axle, wear of other steering components plus the limited life of a transaxle itself. Depending on your model, the support pieces for the front axle can be replaced. I say these things so that you can give the tractor a good inspection before you make a major repair, not belittling the tractor at all. My wife uses just about the same rider w/ a Husqvarna badge on it and a Kawasaki. I've brought several riders for her to try that "were nicer", but no- likes her old one.

/ Replacement Engine
I actually bought a JD LA 145 to replace this rider. Got on that hillside one time. No more. That's all this Poulan does now. Even the parts of the hill the JD can mow, that seat switch is a pain. I like the JD. It does do a much nicer job mowing.